Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to one and all,

I am about to sell this mouthpiece, but the person I originally bought it from did not know which model Guardala it is. I am hoping that someone on this board can help me to figure this out.

As you can see from the pictures the plating is rather worn, so if there was any writing on it it is illegible now. I'm happy to provide any other info requested, and I greatly appreciate your help in advance. If anyone has suggestions about how to better ID the mpc I'm game for that as well.

Thanks again,

Al

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi uncle al,

this is an early handmade goldplated Guardala Studio. Get a Makro-eye on it: Somewehre is a dotted "DG" (Dave Guardala), a "SG" (Studio Goldplated) and number like 1234.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
You need to look inside the throat to positively ID it as a Studio. (It looks like it to me.) There should be a squeeze throat. A ring-like smaller diameter than the shank diameter. I have photos on my site that are useful for ID-ing Guardalas.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
This is definitely a Studio...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
Studios and most MB2s have the same baffle. The throat is the difference.
I had a hand made MBII - quite a late one I think, and that had a curve or roll over instead of the step which the Studio has. So this piece looks like a Studio, and not the MBII that I had at least.

Where the MBII's with a smooth or curved transition from the baffle to the chamber just from a certain period?

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
I have a Handmade Brecker II on ebay....same step baffle as the one pictured above.
If yours had a roll over---it was either worked on or perhaps a custom order. The MB II's had a long step baffle.

·
2,294 Posts
I have a Handmade Brecker II on ebay....same step baffle as the one pictured above.
If yours had a roll over---it was either worked on or perhaps a custom order. The MB II's had a long step baffle.
Hmmm, not sure. I bought it new from Sam Ash in New York on a trip I made to the States in about '96 - can't remember exactly which year. It was brand new, with full silver plating. It looked as though DG (pressumably) had filed the step, prior to plating, to make it somewhat rounded, rather like an original Brecker model but with the longer baffle. I suppose it's possible someone had made a special order through Sam Ash and then not taken it, but I would have thought that unlikely?

·
Registered
923 Posts
For sure that's a Studio, not a MBII - looks exactly like my old handmade Studio. The rounded corners where the baffle drops down into the chamber are a dead giveaway - the baffle also drops off more abruptly as compared to the MBII's, which slopes more gradually into the chamber.

·
2,766 Posts
This is the "semi-hand made model". Made on a CNC machine and finished by hand. I think that prior to 1986 or so, DG didn't have computerised equipment and made custom, one-off pieces totally by hand. Back then, they were $500 but the CNC models were $150. I bought a CNC made "traditional model" in 1987 from DG at his shed in Hicksville NY. "New Horizons Music Co" or something like that was his company. I also remember that the original, pre-1986 pieces had a fatter body and a Link-like bite-plate. The bite-plate was still made of pink denture material but it covered the entire width of the beak like a metal Link. I haven't seen one of those in over 20 years.

I liked the "Trad model". It plaed like a cross between a Link and a Guy Hawkins/Wolfe Tayne type piece. On my old SML revD, I could get a real Stitt meets Griff type vibe. On my mark 6 it lacked a bit of the richness you get in a Link so I switched back. I wish I kept the DG though. You could play loud when you had to and it was reed friendly. In 1988, Phil Barone rounded out the walls in the front chamber and it added a bit of depth without changing the overall performance of the piece.

·
2,294 Posts
........ the baffle also drops off more abruptly as compared to the MBII's, which slopes more gradually into the chamber.
That's exactly what I'm talking about, and how my MBII was. And I agree, the m/p in question looks like a Studio.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
The handmade DGs vary due to evolution, customization by DG, and experimentation. But I think when Guardala got into the LTs, he used what he thought was the best example of each design to be copied for a 100% CNC made mouthpiece. So I consider the LT MB2 the standard or final MB2 design. Most handmade MB2s that I have seen are close to the LT design. Like 75% of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts