Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always enjoy reading posts.and I post for the first time.
I found a strange link at a Japanese auction. It looks like a fake or modan, but it also looks like vintage.
I am considering bidding.Please give me information about this. Details are as follows.

thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,720 Posts
Looks like a modern link that has been worked on and the person who did the work stamped a number on it. Nothing vintage but maybe plays well...maybe not. The work looks fine but you can't tell from photos

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,695 Posts
Also not marked USA as all modern links are. Double ring (double band), and they all have serial numbers. It's not a Double Band from New York as far as I can see (the flash is very annoying in the pictures), as it would have NY stamped on the shank. So this is a later Double Ring Link from Florida.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Could be some odd ball one-off Link. These show up from time-to-time but to me it looks like someone trying to make a modern Link look like a vintage one. Probably the OP fishing to see how much he needs to do to fool the majority of people shopping for a vintage Link.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a lot more of this. I've always thought it would be relatively easy for someone with a bit of skill to take a modern STM and alter it enough to fool most people. With Double Rings now listed for prices well north of $2k even if it took several hours and some re-plating it would still payoff.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,695 Posts
Tip opening should be on the table, not on the shank.
I think it's a modern piece too.
I don't believe the tip opening is on the table for the Florida Double Rings pieces, just the NY ones - that said, the tip opening was never like that either, and was on the side opposite the serial number.
Here's one from Neff's website:

And one from Horned Toad's showing the stamp:

All that said, the tip opening being off is an oddball. The picture quality is meh, so I'm just going to assume its fuzzy on purpose - and is indeed a fake.

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
Having a box from the wrong era doesn’t help their cause.
It might play $300 good if they just came clean and said it was a fake, but not 2 grand good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the replies.
There is a high possibility of fake.
This may have added a ring and a serial number stamp to the modern link.
I will consider it for less than $ 150.
I'm glad to hear your views. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Didn't they drop the quotation marks in the 1980's? This one seems to be from before that time since it does have the marks. I tend to agree with Phil on #2.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Could be some odd ball one-off Link. These show up from time-to-time but to me it looks like someone trying to make a modern Link look like a vintage one. Probably the OP fishing to see how much he needs to do to fool the majority of people shopping for a vintage Link.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a lot more of this. I've always thought it would be relatively easy for someone with a bit of skill to take a modern STM and alter it enough to fool most people. With Double Rings now listed for prices well north of $2k even if it took several hours and some re-plating it would still payoff.
How about other older vintage links? I've been watching this one, trying to figure out the value proposition between the horn and the mouthpiece…

Antique CG Conn LTD Saxophone w/ Case

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
that mouthpiece looks like an alto one. these are not as desired on alto, even if in good shape.

the other one that is on the neck couple fetch upwards of $500 though.

I think the price the auction is at right now ~$2000, maybe even $2500 could be a fair price for this package. It looks like the horn will need a bit of work to be put back in good shape.

·
Registered
217 Posts
that mouthpiece looks like an alto one. these are not as desired on alto, even if in good shape.

the other one that is on the neck couple fetch upwards of $500 though.

View attachment 109174

I think the price the auction is at right now ~$2000, maybe even $2500 could be a fair price for this package. It looks like the horn will need a bit of work to be put back in good shape.
I was thinking that it was a single mouthpiece, photographed on the neck and then removed for the closeups. There's no way to get a good sense of scale so I'm not thinking alto unless there are features other than scale to make that call. Unfortunately the ligature isn't oriented to possibly offer a clue.

I assume any horn on that site will need a full overhaul. So it seems to me it's a $500 mouthpiece and a horn that's costing $1500 plus the price of a full overhaul. No bargain, in my book. If two mouthpieces maybe a fair price, really depends on how much the buyer ends up having to put into it.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts

Serious bend-down on that neck. Not a huge deal, but just sayin'

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I think you’re right about it being the same mouthpiece based on the wear marks. It may be a tenor piece then. The ridge looked short to me but these have a long beak so that may correct for tenor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts