Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just watching A Song is Born (1948) on Youtube and noticed something odd. Charlie Barnet is playing the alto without a sling. I realise this is a film and they're all miming to a prerecorded track, but he looks pretty comfortable.

I once had to try to play tenor without a sling and it was impossible. But I've never tried alto. All sorts of things are possible but not advisable I guess.

·
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been years and years since I saw the movie so I just watched all of the parts (OK so I fast forwarded a bit.) It's a corny story but it has the most musicians of that era I've ever seen. Usually in films the band gets to play a few bars then they cut to the love story.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
I don't think he's actually playing in the clips--they probably synced the shots to a pre-recorded track, and had him leave out the neckstrap because it isn't as nice visually (I guess).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Hadn't seem the clip before. The melody comes from the Largo from Dvorak's New World Symphony which was also the basis for the song "Going Home".

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I don't think he's actually playing in the clips--they probably synced the shots to a pre-recorded track, and had him leave out the neckstrap because it isn't as nice visually (I guess).
With a couple of important exceptions (portions of Funny Girl come to mind), ALL movie musicals were synced to pre-recorded tracks.

·
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It all went fine until you had to play a C#2, right Pat?
:) Well, what I remember was that none of it went well at all. There was a lot of weight in that tenor for my poor old right thumb. But yes, the C# did present particular difficulties.

On the subject of syncing in that clip, I watched all of the music bits in the movie and they're all done very well. At no point does Charlie Barnet use a sling for his alto, yet he looks pretty comfortable playing. I can't imagine for a minute that the film director made him take it off.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I saw Woody Herman and his Herd back in the early 70’s at the Prom Ballroom in St. Paul, MN. He never used a sling for the short solos he did on his alto. He held his horn close to his body though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts