Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i REALLY need your help here. I'm doing some recorded auditions for summer programs, and today is the last day for me to finish my recording. In addition to some excerpts and some stuff on bass clarinet, i'm playing the Poulenc Sonata and the Weber Concertino. Here's the problem: I can play the Concertino just fine (I even won a concerto competition with it), but when i get in front of the camera and mic, it turns into a disaster; sqeaks, rushing, and worst of all i run out of breath REALLY fast (I'm standing). It's not quite as bad with the Poulenc, being 7 minutes shorter, but i still have the same problem with both: I can't keep playing these pieces over and over again for my recording. Every time i try it something goes wrong, and if I try to play either of these pieces again i'm gonna go insane. But both these pieces have to be recorded by end of today.
Let me explain my goal: last year, i was in a summer program called the Boston University Tanglewood Institute. In this program, they have a Wind Ensemble and an Orchestra. Supposedly, the orchestra is where the more advanced wind players go, as opposed to the wind ensemble. Last year, I was in the wind ensemble, and this year i want to be in the orchestra. The Wind Ensemble is doing the "Gum-suckers' March", while the orchestra is doing The Rite of Spring. do i need to explain any more?
How can i get in front of the mic, and perform these pieces i've already done HUNDREDS of times, without making mistakes? (and sound impressive enough to maybe be put in the orchestra)

Quick responses appreciated!!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,212 Posts
You can't. No one plays perfectly. I know--I've recorded many orchestra auditions-some for major orchestras--a few have even been successful in getting the job.
Do the best you can, and send it in.

The only alternative is to edit, which is unethical.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,264 Posts
... today is the last day for me to finish my recording.

How can i get in front of the mic, and perform these pieces i've already done HUNDREDS of times, without making mistakes? (and sound impressive enough to maybe be put in the orchestra)

Quick responses appreciated!!
Why do people (not just you) do this? What can you hope to achieve on such short notice?

It's a matter of conditioning - not just taking a pill or a smoke to calm your "nerves".

Go with your best take and accept it for a snapshot of where you are in life.

After you send it in, start preparing for next year. Consider reading "The Inner Game of Music" to learn how to better handle "nerves" as well as playing with others in ensembles.

G'luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,260 Posts
Put the clarinet down. Grab a beverage (Diet Coke works for me). Go sit your butt down in front of the TV and watch something stupid for about a half hour. Then go back to the camera and clarinet. However, this time think that you are not sending it anyone other than your long lost great aunt who would not know a clarinet from a poorly tuned lawnmower and have fun playing these pieces. You are so worried about nailing these pieces that you have forgotten to have fun with these pieces. Enjoy the instrument for once and relax with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
873 Posts
It's a mental thing and there's not much you can do but get used to it. I'd consider you lucky to be able to record your audition - every audition I've done was in-person and I choked, from my point of view. It's just what I do.

The human mind is a pain to figure out and harder to control. I'm incredibly nervous in a lot of social situations, yet I can sit in front of a microphone in a room full of people I've never seen before and get the job done like I was born to do it. It's like a switch was turned on in my subconscious. The timbre and energy of my voice even change depending on what I need to do, without me even thinking about it. I wish I knew why, but I like it so i don't question it.

I agree with the above - flush your mind out with useless dreck. Watch a bunch of random nonsense on YouTube, or some weird imported cartoon or something, and then go back and record a performance for some relatives, and then send it off to them. Listen to it, and maybe you'll find that it's what you want. You know you can do it, but the pressure is ruining it.

All you can do is trick your mind into not being nervous - I've been trying to do that for most of my life.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts