Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
This is one of my beefs with how jazz is imposed today. There is far too much literature. When I learn tunes, I usually use a fake book/lead sheet to learn them, or off the recording. But I don't memorize the notes and chords per se, I study them until I can play the tune backwards and forwards and be able to sing the melody (and of course be able to play it well on my horn) because I am forcing myself to listen for the sound. And once you start doing that with one tune, it will make the next tune you learn easier to learn, and so on and so forth. It stops becoming a memorization game. If you study it, shed it, listen for the sound, and treat it as a song of its own, you will be far less dependent on a lead sheet.

Like it was mentioned, unless you're at a sight-reading gig and there are some complicated arrangements, then I could see using music. But for the most part, if you're at a jam session, don't bring a book. It shows that you don't really know the tune. When Thelonious Monk was alive and recording, he made his sidemen learn the tunes from ear if they could - at the recording session. If it was too difficult for them to learn from ear, he tossed them the lead sheet. When Monk was working with Coltrane, they didn't use sheet music. Coltrane had to learn his tunes from ear. And Monk's tunes aren't exactly "Autumn Leaves" and "Watermelon Man".

1 - 1 of 1 Posts