Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Personally fake books are a big no no to me. Maybe at an informal jam, but even then I don't do it.

I see guys playing gigs with music out and that just pisses me off to no end. It's one thing if you get called to do a sub gig playing all original tunes with no rehearsal, but when a guy's up there playing standards with a fake book it looks terrible.

You don't see actors going up on stage with there scripts in performance...Or a pianist playing a Brahms Sonata with the music, at least most of the time and I have strong feelings about not doing that either.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'd be embarassed to get up and play from music, even if it was a complex tune. It shows a lack of study. Now if we were talking a long, through-composed work, it might be a different story, but mixed meters? No way.(Note, the sub situation was already explained in my previous post.)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Tenorocity, well said on all counts.

Saxplayer67, that's not the put. The point is to have a deep understanding of what's going on in the music. Plus, it just looks bad.

Andrewbowie, my response to you is to learn more tunes! Just study a couple each week intently and you'll know hundreds before you know it. I try to study a tune each day if I can, learning by ear first and then looking at a lead sheet, going to the piano to work out the harmony and substitutions, etc. I learn by ear to really ingrain it in my mind. I read very well and memorize that way as well, but my playing on those tunes seems forced.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm not talking about ensembles. I'm a pianist as well and have played lots of music classical and jazz. Solo piano, you never play with music. Accompanying and chamber music you do. Concertos you do not, while the orchestra does. I use charts in big bands.

And I'm not saying looks good in a showy sense. But if someone shows up on stage in a combo, no matter who they are (and I've seen name players use music,) it just doesn't look professional and makes the audience feel that this person didn't do their homework enough to learn the tunes cold. This is especially important to the lead voice at the front of the stage.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
andrewbowie, I just wanted to say that I did not intend to insult your playing in any way.

Daryl, I can see your point on the restaurant type gigs, though I personally wouldn't use music.

I should say this also, I don't mind so much if it's one of the rhythm section players using it, it's the lead voice I get most annoyed with. I'd prefer not to have them use music, but if they needed it on a couple of tunes, whatever.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Saxplayer67 said:
Who am I to challenge an ages-old tradition?:D
That certainly plays into part of it. I must admit I never understood why some violinists I've accompanied played Mozart Sonatas with the music, other than tradition.

It was explained to me that it goes back to the salons where informal concerts were given for a few friends with little rehearsal, so music was necessary. Also the fact that some of the salon owners and aristocracy liked to join in with the professionals. It must have sucked for Haydn (I think it was Haydn anyway) to have to play string quartets with his royal patron, who was apparently less than stellar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts