Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been playing the alto for five+ years now, and don't have any troubles with any notes on it. However I recently began playing the tenor saxophone, and whenever I try playing the middle d :line4: (six fingers and octave key) it just comes out as an off-pitch A. This only occurs when I do not tongue the note, which can obviously get annoying. I know that there are supposed to be a few embouchure problems when first switching, but I am able to basically play all the other notes fine. It is just this middle-d. Is this normal? And what can be done to fix it? (also this only occurs if I am slurring up to the d such as from b to d, but not when slurring down, like from f to d)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It could be any number of things from the horn to you... have the horn checked out by a technician and have the player checked out by a teacher.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Well, you might have a leak, but if it doesn't happen on D1 too, than more than likely you are biting and squeezing too much and causing D2 to jump to the 2nd harmonic, which is A2. You played only alto all this time and now you need to learn to relax your mouth and form a looser embouchure to avoid just that problem. Tenor requires a lose and relaxed embouchure. Playing legato coming down or up to notes on a break, like D and G is usually where this tends to show up, so you have to work at retraining your mouth.

At first you are going to have to be conscious about it, so look in the mirror when you play to see what your mouth and lips are doing. Even feel them with one hand to see how they are formed. Are you biting or squeezing too much? To see what it is like, do the Jerry Bergonzi trick as follows: stick your thumb in your mouth as if you were a baby and suck on it. Feel how your thumb sits on the pad of your lower lip (not over your teeth is best) and how your lips form around it so that no air gets in. Then blow out, instead of sucking in, and that is exactly what you should do with your mouthpiece in place of your thumb. It's on a video of a Bergonzi lesson on Youtube if you want to see him do it.

Sometimes too, you can adjust your reed on the mpc by changing the position of the lig or tightening or loosening the screws as needed to stop a unwanted harmonic or squeak. Ya gotta futz with it to find out what the problem is and how to resolve it. I recently went back to alto after years of only playing tenor and have had to learn to play with a tighter embouchure for alto but still keep my loose tenor one. So I switch back and forth every day or two in order to get muscle memory to take over and do it naturally without having to think about it too much, Even so, I still do get the occasional harmonic on G2 when my mouth forgets what horn it is on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts