Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird but interesting stuff

perhaps even more interesting to see how this is done on the NEY

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) well, although the ney is a real flute, Sean Osborn, a serious player and pro, authour of the video above, speaks of using this a as a special effect and of composers learning to write music with this specific technique so perhaps it has a purpose other then being weird. This is a serious player too, to date experimenting with this.

Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is not really necessary since only some neys have a mouthpiece ( turkish and Persian Ney) But other neys don't.

I've learnt the rudiments of this embouchure on a Egyptian Kavala and a Tunisian Ney, both don't have a mouthpiece.

Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:)

The Persian nay-ney has a completely different embouchure but probably because of this it has the most haunting sound of them all. Truly amazing, if one isn't moved by this sound I don't know what would.

Registered
This is a common gimmick with the good Greek and other Balkan clarinetists. It is musically effective with appropriate discretion. Usually they do it with barrel on, though (I think). Being a dabbler with the turkish Ney, I've tried it now and then. Sometimes I get it to work, most times it's a fail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts