Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out how to get my own playing style where from the minute I start playing people know it's me. For example you can hear a song and from the first note tell Kenny Garrett is playing vs Gerald Albright.

Maybe some one can help me with this. There are a lot of sax players that I like how they sound and can't seem to figure out any one player to try and listen to and transcribe. One minute I am listening to Gerald Albright, next I am listening to Kirk Whalum. The thing is I like Kirk Whalum's tone and his soulful playing, on the other hand I like Gerald Albright's ability to play the altissimo register like regular palm keys and his technicality. Then again trying to listen and keep up with them is like wow. I am trying to listen to them one and try to follow them or even trying to understand what they are doing (meaning why did they play those notes and what type of pattern are they doing thirds, fourths). So maybe someone can explain how to understand these things and being able to incorporate this into my playing. Right now I am frustrated because I have been playing for about 13 years and should be a lot better then I am now and just can't find any direction. For the most part I am self-taught, but did have some lesson more recently.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
Just try to become as proficient as possible. Style comes from strength, it's not some decision you just make. Like a dude with no style simply made some poor aesthetic choices? Nah ...When you get so good you can play almost anything, then your sensabilities will be expressed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts