Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After nearly 50 years of playing I decided to get a soprano. ( I always hated the sound of every one I ever tried) I picked up the cheap WWBW 2 neck model. After switching mouthpieces as suggested by Dave D and 6 months of practice I got pretty comfortable with the upper end. That was several years ago. I have been very impressed with this horn for the price. I wish I could find out who made it?

For the last 10 months I have been shopping for a new soprano and have tried all the big four plus P Mauriat and Cannonball but my inability to choose and the sound I get from from this horn have kept me from making the leap. It will happen at some point.

The other night at band I soloed on Le Petite Fleur and got asked by the band director and 2 other members if I had a new horn? And the answer was no just PRACTICING more! I had been playing this solo a half dozen times a day to memorize it as well as working on some tough sax quartet pieces.

The more I practice the better this horn gets! Even the intonation issue with low C has gone away. Nuff said!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I haven't seen a "WWBW" brand soprano. Is it one of the Band Now or Barrington models?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I didn't realize wwbw had their own brand. But I guess they do, learn something new every day.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WWBW Soprano

jmartin said:
I haven't seen a "WWBW" brand soprano. Is it one of the Band Now or Barrington models?
No it was their brand. It was in their Fall/ Winter catalog and I thought they had dropped it, but it is RETURNING April 24 as " Vianna by Woodwind". Same part number though and same price $549.

That's just what it needed to make it better! A name change!! Some brilliant marketing type must have thought that one up!!

Despite the tomfooolery it's a pretty good horn for the money.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hard to tell what's in the mind of those marketing gurus. Sometime all that is required is a name change.

For example, I own a bar and about 4 years ago we changed it's name to an Irish Pub. No other changes. Now we have Irish clubs meeting there and we are always packed on St Patrick's Day. It's all about perception.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carbs said:
Woodwind Brasswind Soprano. I am guessing it is a double necked model. The Intermediate model.
http://www.wwbw.com/Vienna-by-Woodwind-WWSTCU-Double-Neck-Soprano-Saxophone-i85805.music
That is the one replacing it. They actually had 2 with one being more expensive at $949 if I recall. I can't imagine what the differerence was? I haven't been able to convince myself that a cannonball or a mauriat is enough of an upgrade , at 3 times the price, to justify the change. When I do make the plunge it will probably be a Yani 992

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jmartin said:
Hard to tell what's in the mind of those marketing gurus. Sometime all that is required is a name change.

For example, I own a bar and about 4 years ago we changed it's name to an Irish Pub. No other changes. Now we have Irish clubs meeting there and we are always packed on St Patrick's Day. It's all about perception.
That was not just marketing hype! That was a stroke of genius!!

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
mountainman said:
That was not just marketing hype! That was a stroke of genius!!
Sounds like a great idea. Glad it worked for ya.
I agree, they do have a model, supposdly a pro. model.
I have often considered their horns, but my MP3 player always breaks when I get close, so of course all my money goes to replacing it. For the price of their pro. model you can get better horns, in my opinion. A Vintage Soprano, and it totally fixed up for that price. And it wouldn't take that steep dive in value.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts