Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered in another thread, mostly by a Canadian woman I believe, who plays on the street a lot, but I couldn't find it. I've been practicing solo (I used to play along with CD's or homemade backing tracks) It's pretty taxing, but what a great way to simply get better My question is, do you keep the songs short and sweet, (head, one or two solos, head)? Picking out songs is no problem, it's endurance. How many songs in a "set" do those who do this play before coming up for air? Do you eschew rhythm, as in a built in metronome in your head, and just phrase as your wind allows? I'd love to check out street players, but I live in the very sterile midwest where this kind of thing is rare. I'm not currently a "Working Sax Pro", but I figured you guys would have the best advice of all the catagories on this site. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Personally, I get tired of listening quickly if it's all "stop time". I much prefer a steady pulse. That doesn't mean you have to play even 8ths but I should be able to tap my foot in time with your playing. In Atlanta in the 80s, there was a concert series called "Quantum" put on by Rob Gibson, later of Jazz at Lincoln Center. David Murray came and played solo at least once. Here's how I do it...If I'm just playing "wallpaper" [low volume background music] I'll solo a long time. If people seem to be paying attention, I try to mix it up more frequently. Don't play two songs back to back with the same tempo and time feel. Vary the keys, too. Other folks probably think your area is too sterile, too and would see you playing saxophone as a badly needed breath of fresh air. It can also be a way to make a little money, meet some other players and make some business connections. Do a search for "busking". Go for it !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts