Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chickenpox on adults stinks...
Just before I started to get my first blisters I noticed a lack of breath but not that much...I simply stopped my practice session a bit earlier.
That evening I noticed the first blisters on my body + fever + sickness + headache...sleep was nearly impossible.
The morning after was a kafkaninan one - more and more blisters (red, violet, white) all over my body and scalp would erupt like a vulcan...then the sweat and smell, the sick, the burning sensation and pressure on my head...while peeing I noticed some blisters even inside the most intimate crevices...
On the 3rd day things started improving a bit...time to get back to my sax? yeah, about 10 minutes...cos' the breath is pathetic and the pressure gets on my head quickly and heavily.
It's day 4 now, and I feel really better - still spots all over, but they seems receding and don't sting anymore - the appetite is back for both food and sax...
At least I manage to play for about 2 hours but I'm not that happy with my breath...time will tell.
Anyone had a similar experience?
How long does it takes to get back to normal?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
You should probably give yourself a full weak. The varicella virus may be gone but you could very well of had a secondary respiratory infection. And there may still be some sores in the respiratory track from the varicella. Either way, blowing a sax could irritate the problem. Give yourself a week to more fully recover. Your sax isn't going anywhere without you.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should probably give yourself a full weak. The varicella virus may be gone but you could very well of had a secondary respiratory infection. And there may still be some sores in the respiratory track from the varicella. Either way, blowing a sax could irritate the problem. Give yourself a week to more fully recover. Your sax isn't going anywhere without you.
A full week? That's very frustrating indeed as I've just bought a new sax and eager to test it at full blast.
Never mind...a couple of hours of mild exercises for a few more days then I'll go the full monty!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Isn't there the possibility of infecting your sax? I mean like leaving the germs on the saxophone and possibly infecting someone else (or yourself, again; but you get immune after you get it, right?)? I don't think saxophones can get chickenpox... <insert funny picture here>

·
SOTW Administrator
26,226 Posts
Getting chickenpox as an adult can be very dangerous. I hope that you are seeing a physician.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,511 Posts
Getting chickenpox as an adult can be very dangerous. I hope that you are seeing a physician.
Me too.

The physician will give advice on whether or not to play the saxophone. My gut feeling is that total rest will speed recovery. Best wishes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,861 Posts
Isn't there the possibility of infecting your sax? I mean like leaving the germs on the saxophone and possibly infecting someone else (or yourself, again; but you get immune after you get it, right?)? I don't think saxophones can get chickenpox... <insert funny picture here>
I know that varicella is a virus, but I'd still pitch all my used reeds and clean the mouthpiece with a disinfectant. And as noted above, see a doctor and follow his instructions.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"...possibility of infecting your sax?"
For a moment I'd actually thought I got this virus from this sax itself as I've just bought it second hand...on second thought, I've learned about incubation timing and it seems I've contracted Chicken Pox while traveling - the plane in particular was full of people....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Man, I got the chicken pox when I was 26 and it sucked big time. It took me about two weeks to get completely back to normal.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,329 Posts
Chicken Pox. I remember having the blisters EVERYWHERE inside and out.
Talk about sick.... And I was only 5 when I had them.

If your blisters are still a bit 'oozy' and haven't all scabbed over you are still VERY CONTAGIOUS.
It may take a good 7-10 days for that to happen. Stay away from small children and anyone you know with a depressed immune system.
Secondary infections are quite common while suffering the pox, so it's always a good idea to see you physician if you have symptoms other than fever, body aches, and ITCHING....
Respiratory problems are not associated with Chicken Pox.

DO NOT let anyone play your sax unless they have already had the Pox or they have had the vaccine.
That virus can lay dormant for a very, VERY long time.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chicken Pox. I remember having the blisters EVERYWHERE inside and out.
Talk about sick.... And I was only 5 when I had them.

If your blisters are still a bit 'oozy' and haven't all scabbed over you are still VERY CONTAGIOUS.
It may take a good 7-10 days for that to happen. Stay away from small children and anyone you know with a depressed immune system.
Secondary infections are quite common while suffering the pox, so it's always a good idea to see you physician if you have symptoms other than fever, body aches, and ITCHING....
Respiratory problems are not associated with Chicken Pox.

DO NOT let anyone play your sax unless they have already had the Pox or they have had the vaccine.
That virus can lay dormant for a very, VERY long time.
Respiratory problems ARE associated with Chicken Pox....there's plenty of websites where they mention about lack of breath and bad throat associated with this illness (in fact nearly all sort of pains hits you at once with Chicken Pox - that's whats make it so nasty).
The bad throat on day 2 was the worst I'd ever experienced in my entire life....it was cured instantly by gurgling hot salted water for a few minutes - that proved to be a very simple, quick and effective solution - the throat got back to normal and haven't had a problem since.
If other issues with this virus were so easy to handle I would be back on top by now.
The worst is over though...seen all those scabs on my bed this morning and feel better and better.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know that varicella is a virus, but I'd still pitch all my used reeds and clean the mouthpiece with a disinfectant. And as noted above, see a doctor and follow his instructions.
Good points...
My practice sessions these days are rather subdue (no altissimo, no forte/fortissimos) - most importantly I keep using the same Alto (Tenor needs a bit more power) with the same MP and reed....I'll disinfect the lot next week.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, here's my formula to beat Adult Chicken Pox - (if any of you is unlucky enough to be hit by this lousy virus):

- lots of Vitamin C...I mean really lots of it - I've taken 5000-7000mg per day since day 2. Vitamin C is easily expelled by the organism so there's no real danger of exceeding.
- lots of raw garlic - your breath will stink for sure but this precious bulb will do wonders against any infection. I've chewed 1 big walnut size clove of garlic - really chewed slowly until you feel the stinging allicin hitting your gums and nerves then swallow the lot with a bit of water - it feels like a hot/cold wave starting from your gums and travelling into your ears, scalp and down your heart - (I bet on a long term it will work against tinnitus too - a lousy side effect of sax playing and Altissimos in particular).
- Aloe Vera...good to keep hitching at bay...I've used it on day 1 and 2 and it did a better job than Calamine Lotion (but both can be used).
- Keep indoor...It might sounds frustrating because it's sunny and you want to go out for a stroll or with your bike - but beware.
I've kept indoor for the first 3 days...then ventured a bit on day 4 and felt weird (really weird)....realized I had better go home and stay there for a bit longer - I'm not ready to tackle the jungle as yet.:baby:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts