Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,067 Posts
Wow, that's a great video. I haven't seen that before. I used to be so into that Sting era with Branford. I remember I watched that movie of them rehearsing as a band and in a castle about 20 times. I wore those CD's out that's for sure. This brings back so many memories. Thanks, Bob.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve: I think you're referring to "Bring on the Night"...such a time-capsule! It's so funny -- the clothes they're wearing and such -- and Branford acts like a goofball in much of it, but boy is the music cool!

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,067 Posts
Steve: I think you're referring to "Bring on the Night"...such a time-capsule! It's so funny -- the clothes they're wearing and such -- and Branford acts like a goofball in much of it, but boy is the music cool!
Yes, that was it. It's funny you say it is a time capsule. I haven't seen it since that time but for me it was current with my generation. You probably saw it 10 years later............. I'd like to see that again some time. I'll probably think the same thing now.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
This brings back memories....
I had been playing the saxophone for a few years and joined my first band when "Bring on the Night" and "The Dream of the Blue Turtle" come out around 1985.
We played a couple of songs off that album, "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free" - "Moon Over Bourbon Street" ....
Branford was the main reason I bought a soprano, I even had the same Bari mouthpiece :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
What's wrong with the clothes they're wearing. Looks like much of my wardrobe.
I think Bob was referring to the clothes worn in the video Bring On The Night.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Nice soprano sound indeed.
Wouldn't mind hearing that one minus the lyrics.    :TGNCHK:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I love playing gigs with singers; figuring out how to be supportive and integrated into the tune without stepping on the singer. Finding a way to make a statement during the blowing that moves the tune forward. Beautiful example by Branford there! I'm also always struck by listening to Trane playing behind Johnny Hartman, showing remarkable taste and restraint.

Thanks for posting that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts