Sax on the Web Forum banner

Playing over minor progressions?

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  JL 
#1 ·
I have an app that plays chord progressions and I just like to practice soloing over 4-5 repeating chords.
I'm generally ok transposing the major keys progressions (over F play Dmajor scale etc)

But they also have minor key progressions in the same key maybe like Fm - Bbm - Cm.

I can't quite work out how to transpose those into the right key?
For majors I count 6 steps up, for minors???

#5 ·
Yes alto.
Sorry if it confuses, its hard to get my point across without the exact terminology I know.

The chords I'm playing against are in the key of fminor, but what key is that on the sax to play? I ended playing in cmajor against it and it mostly worked, but randomly playing around trying to find the right scale is tiring.

For major keys I have a chart I made , so if the tune is in C I can look at the chart "Ah I play in A major over this tune."

As you say, fminor is dminor for alto but what dminor is that from.? as there is a dminor in the keys of F and C and Bb.

#3 ·
Dave gave the answer, above ^^ regarding transposing.

However, are you having problems understanding the difference between a major key and a minor key? Fmaj and Fmin share the same root or tonic center (F), so the transposition to your alto is the same. However, Fmin is different from Fmaj in that it is minor, not major. Is that part of what you are asking? Your question is not entirely clear.

#10 ·
We tend to use roman numerals for chord progression n umbers sop I'd recommend getting used to that.

When you say "normal progression" I think you mean common progression. (Sorry for appearing pedantic but it actually helps to get the terminology correct)

So yes, I IV V is a common basic progression.

In C major that is C - F - G7. (with more complex four note chords it is Cmaj7 Fmaj7 G7)

In A minor it would be Amin - Dmin- E7.

Note that these are basic but there will be variations, especially with blues, e.g you could have C7 F7 G7 (all dominants to sound more bluesy)

#21 ·
Pete, in post 6 you showed that if a tuner hears a fmaj, on alto you play a Dmaj. Is that correct?
In post 6 I gave the transposition from concert to alto as I was answering a question there about transposition.

EDIT: I see the confusion now.

starry: It is important to make clear if you are talking about transposition, otherwise we would assume you are either talking about concert pitch OR transposed pitch.

Secondly, you show "In A minor it would be Amin - Dmin- E7." So to play a minor progession, its Imin, IVmin, Vmaj?
Almost. It is I min - IVmin - V7 (not V maj)

Note that is just one of many minor progressions.

#20 ·
Starry- you need to talk in 1 key, not transpose back and forth. You say "My mistake it was fmajor key, and i was playing dmajor scale,this heatwave is getting to me...
Sorry for confusion.

Are you saying that the CONCERT key was F major, so you're play ALTO D major scale?

If so, yes that's fine...it's just the transposition from Concert to Alto.

#23 ·
This is a perfect example of why, in general, you should usually communicate in concert key. You can think in your alto key if you want, but when talking to other players (many of whom will not be playing a transposing instrument) to avoid confusion you need to speak in concert key. An exception would be if you are speaking about specific fingerings on the saxophone, but even then you need to make it clear you are speaking in the 'sax key.'

starry, keep in mind that when you are playing your alto in the key of D, you are actually playing in F concert. If your buddy on the bandstand is playing tenor; he'll be playing his tenor in the tenor key of G. But you are both playing in F concert. And yeah, the piano player and guitarist will be playing in F (they aren't transposing instruments).

Concert key is the 'equalizer,' so to speak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.