Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,966 Posts
Playing heads, or put another way, 'knowing tunes', is probably the most important part in building your musical mind. This has been known for very many years as many of the great players of the past would say that 'Its not what you know, its how many tunes you know.' Its okay to use a Real Book or whatever to learn a song and get the chord pattern but it has to be learned so later you can just play it. I believe all practicing must be musical - you must only play music but you can use the music to work out techniques/etc. Even long tones can be musical. As for tunes, I prefer standards/jazz standards although I don't play jazz per se. I almost never just play the melody 'straight' - I'm impatient so I play around with it from the beginning but its still recognizable - then as I keep playing it, I will go farther 'out' little by little as I create and practice the 'ride'/solo sections. Also it is advisable to always use the correct key for any tune learned so at some future time if somebody calls it you will be ready.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I believe all practicing must be musical - you must only play music but you can use the music to work out techniques/etc. Even long tones can be musical.
Those are truly wise words.
You can not shout them loud enough.
They should be engraved with big letters at the entrance of every institution related to music. Next to "know thy/the self "

·
Banned
8,205 Posts
There’s so many gems in Charlie Parker and Bud Powell tunes that you could practice those in different keys and have a great vocabulary.
Coltrane tunes like 26-2 in different keys and you’d have the basis of Brecker and Grossman.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There’s so many gems in Charlie Parker and Bud Powell tunes that you could practice those in different keys and have a great vocabulary.
Coltrane tunes like 26-2 in different keys and you’d have the basis of Brecker and Grossman.
doing that right now :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts