Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I toured the University of Miami in Florida and I met with the jazz saxophone professor, and on a sudden notice, he wanted to me to play for him. What are some things I can pick up on a quick notice and play for him?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Play some scales, long tones, blues licks, your warm up routine, he just wanted to hear your sound I think.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm assuming you're a jazz player. I'd guess he'd want you to play a few scales and maybe blow on a standard you know, or a blues (you most likely wouldn't have a rhythm section of course). More than likely, if you're going to meet with him, he'll want to talk and just get to know you. I just finished with college auditions, and have met with professors privately at a couple of the schools I applied to. They were mostly the same: we spent less time playing and more time discussing. In one instance, the professor and I played an F blues, alternating walking a bass line on our horns. The advice I would give is to be prepared for anything he asks you to do. Don't worry about it too much though. These things tend to be fairly laid back. At any rate, good luck and enjoy yourself!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was on a very sudden note, this is not an audition, and he said he wanted to know what standards I can play on the top of my head, and the only one that I sort of remember is parts of Yardbird suite by Charlie Parker.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I disagree. Though Miami is quite a competitive school. Do you know any blues heads?

Either way, he just wants to get to know. Keep in my, you don't have to amaze him, he's going to be looking for potential. If you can, show off that you have the foundation that he can work with, and if he gives you a suggestion, try to learn as quickly as possible.

Good luck!
-Bubba-

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you can't play a standard off the top of your head for a college audition, you're toast. Brutal, but there it is.
+1. Miami is quite competitive and the entering freshmen generally play at a very high level. Are you looking to be in the jazz program? The Music Ed. program? The classical program?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do know some blues heads, not too many though.

And I am interested in the music education with jazz emphasis. But I looking at classical as well

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And some may not be a standard, I can play about 4 songs on the top of my head

1 - 10 of 10 Posts