Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Since March I have had a standing two time a week gig at a Cajun restaurant and part of the deal was each time $100, tips and a meal. I have really enjoyed the food this year. Maybe I will shoot for a Mexican or Italian restaurant this next year.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,799 Posts
Neapolitan Pizza!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,443 Posts
Playing for food is a lot better than dodging the food...

while playing!

I love Cajun food.

I love Vietnamese food!

Wait, I just love food. As a matter of fact, I didn't get to where I am now by being too picky about my food! :lick:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Many many years ago my wife and I and another couple who played trombones got together
and played 1900's German oom-pah music for the German Village festival in Columbus, OH.

We had a ball and got more beer & food tickets than we could use.
(if you've seen the "Man vs. Food" episode on Schmidts Sausage Haus, they were the organizers
and we had to audition for old-man Schmidt who's son is now running the restaurant.)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
I like food.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Hmmm. I'm seeing visions of popcorn stuck in my mouthpiece after a gig like that!

Yuuuuck!

Good thing I clean it every time it's been in my mouth.
Yes, I have to be careful to leave time before the next intermission when I do eat some.

Actually, the biggest immediate problem is the pieces that fall between rods and under keys, and sometimes wedge a pad up or down. I've solved the open bell problem.

Long term problem will be the salt coating the sax. That's why I felt that the Chinese sax would be the safest for this gig. (Summer Mummers is an organization I've been part of for about 35 years in various capacities, and early involvement in it led directly to my current non-musician career path. Least I can do is play in the pit band.)

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I'll gladly play for free today for a muffin on Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My favorite gig is at a local Italian restaurant where the owner is an avid jazz saxophonist (and plays pretty well!) He hires a pianist & another horn to play during the restaurant hours. When the kitchen closes, he comes out & will play about 5 tunes. When I get the call, I always try to make it - no pay...but free food & drink after the restaurant is closed. As phenomenal as the Italian is, my favorite part is exploring the wine list. :drunken:

·
Registered
284 Posts
We used to play at a place just outside of East Lansing called Jambalayas. They would give us free meals. I would always get the crawfish chowder and the filet. They gave us a break on drinks too, but with 8 guys in the band we'd be lucky to get out of there with $70 a piece... No wonder they went out of business. We opened for Room full of Blues a couple of times there. I miss that gig.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,443 Posts
Yes, I have to be careful to leave time before the next intermission when I do eat some.

Actually, the biggest immediate problem is the pieces that fall between rods and under keys, and sometimes wedge a pad up or down. I've solved the open bell problem.

Long term problem will be the salt coating the sax. That's why I felt that the Chinese sax would be the safest for this gig. (Summer Mummers is an organization I've been part of for about 35 years in various capacities, and early involvement in it led directly to my current non-musician career path. Least I can do is play in the pit band.)
I'm a sucker for popcorn. No doubt I'd have ground up popcorn accumulating in the mouthpiece during the evening. Heck, in the down times, I'd see if they could hit my mouth instead of the bell of the sax. Much more challenging and I get a direct benefit! :bluewink:

Hadn't thought about the kernels in the keywork! (& rods & pads!) Bummer. :(

I wouldn't just have the salt to worry about on my horn. I would request butter on the popcorn as well! :lick:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i took a gig once driving from NYC to Baltimoreand staying over night...the gig paid 30 dollars... I said id do it as long as they took me to the seafood shop on the way back...they immediately agreed...

we were leaving town...i said..."hey wait a minute.what about my seafood??" so we went down to the harbour and i got my seafood tin....a couple o lobsters...tons of clams and mussels in a big tin barrel........pour a beer inside...poke holes in the top and put it on the stove......

it cost 30 bucks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts