Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Playing really fast...why do we do it? Because machine gun 8th notes are awesome :twisted:

Seriously though, how many of you have turned up the heat on some of your gigs? I was going through some recordings of gigs and found this one of my quartet playing My Shining Hour. It was the last tune of the gig, and we just felt like playing something burnin. No rhyme or reason! It was fun though. Hope you like it, and if you have some recordings of you guys playing fast post them up!

https://app.box.com/s/70x8dfwosik3y720mtkx

**disclaimer** We did this for fun at the end of a gig. This recording does not represent the values, beliefs, or playing ability of me or anyone in my band. I like to play slow, too.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
You really can shred! Forget about 4 double espressos...I couldn't prepare for that solo for the life of me!

·
Registered
251 Posts
My arm would fall off playing like that! (almost literally, since my RSI I've avoided such tempos like the plague).
Nice job keeping your head on straight during that jam.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
The only way to get fluent at those tempos is to do it a lot. Luckily, I have a drummer that can play those tempos.
Your sound reminds me of James Spaulding.
Great stuff!

·
3,561 Posts
Great playing. I have figured out how to learn to play Giant Steps fast like this. The trick for me is to practice it every day for no more than 3-5 minutes. But you have to do it everyeveryevery day. You chip away at it, consistently and diligently, over time. You don't pull a few all nighters, do a week of marathon practice sessions to get it down. That will never work. It gets boring after that and you should work on a wide range of other things as well.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Great playing. I have figured out how to learn to play Giant Steps fast like this. The trick for me is to practice it every day for no more than 3-5 minutes. But you have to do it everyeveryevery day. You chip away at it, consistently and diligently, over time. You don't pull a few all nighters, do a week of marathon practice sessions to get it down. That will never work. It gets boring after that and you should work on a wide range of other things as well.
This is really key to the way that I learn.

·
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's great! The key is to be able to play any tune in any key this fast, so keep at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
3,561 Posts
Yes...
Practicing lots of tunes with more standard changes in every key with fluency is the root, and I can sit around and work out on Cherokee, All the Things You Are, Confirmation, etc in all 12 keys for an hour, but for me playing these Coltrane tunes with particularly challenging set of changes to hear requires the approach I mentioned. Its gets stale after about 5 minutes, but those 5 minutes should be an amazingly productive 5 minutes. They are a different animal... I'm talking about Giant Steps, Moment's Notice and Lazybird. Also Inner Urge... Its proven to be strategy for success for me.

That's great! The key is to be able to play any tune in any key this fast, so keep at it!

·
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's great that you found out a way for it to work for you. Different people need different strategies in order to reach thier goals, and it takes a lot of experimenting to figure things out. I have a gig later today so maybe we'll play some of those Trane tunes at 350+!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts