Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's me playing along with myself. Note the differences in the tone. In the background is the Excalibur, in the foreground is the Runyon Custom. I switched the mouthpieces around, take a look at my sig. What I noticed was the Runyon /w Rico was giving me the laid back and easy playing sound for all around use, but the Excalibur really has the power, and I like to refer to my mouthpiece as "Ralph's last mouthpiece" because I purchased it (used) on the same day he passed away. So I keep it stashed in my case for really special occasions -- and from now on it's cheap replacable Runyon Custom /w cheap replacable Rico 3's for me. And dig the tone.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res1g9ny/pracprez3oversdub.mp3

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mattbutler said:
I've really appreciated your tone on the pieces you've posted.

By the way, what's your dogs name?
Thanks for your appreciation. My dogs name is Sidney, named after Sidney Bechet, but she's a girl. ;) she is really an angel.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mattbutler said:
I have three Beagles; Wu Sao, Ng Mui, and Method.. :)

I'm curious, what is a typical practice day for you?
cool, I love dogs. well my practice routine is like this; long tones on Bb, then scales in all keys, major and minor, then in thirds, then arpeggios, then I do some sort of practicing reading music, like reading tunes from the Real book or whatever. After that I just jam out as a reward for all my hard work.

I am interested in learning more about modes and the circles of fifths.

btw my old dogs name was Ming - named after the chinese word for enlightenment.

I just recorded this as a tribute to my dog, Sidney. :)

Sidney

Lol, Method, huh? Do you rap? I love rap now. I think it descended from Louis Jordan, my idol.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cranky Bear said:
Why has no one made jokes about the title of this thread?
Because it was changed. Originally it said playing with myself, because that's what I'm doing (not by myself.)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I don't rap but I really dig rap. I think there are some interesting things going on in it.

Great name, "Ming".. and Sydney...good namesake. As you probably picked up on, two of my dogs have Chinese names. One means "guard hand" (Wu Sao) and the other is named after a Buddhist nun (Ng Mui). I named Method after not being able to settle on a name for a week or so. I was doing a lot of programming and just used a programming term. The other options were "lil Ghetto" (because he was a stray found in a rough neighborhood), "Amiz" (as in, "you ain't as fresh as I'm is" - I think that's a lil Wayne tune), "Jihad" (this was ruled out because somehow I don't think my neighbors would find the humor in my yelling "JIHAD, JIHAD!" out the back door whilst trying to get the little guy to come inside).. there were a few others but they escape my dome putty right now.

Your practice routine looks solid. What are you reading to learn more about the cycles and modes? What kind of stuff are you working on for time/groove?

I'll check out your new track in a bit...

Keep sheddin'...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts