Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been trying blues and jazz for sometime now and studying some techniques now my problem is i dont have somebody to play along with (pianist or a guitarist). i have been eager to try some of the stuff i learned and experiment on it but i dont have an accompaniment. a guy here told me that i should play along mp3s but i cant find the music that i can play along with my horn. can somebody suggest something?

a down loadable itunes song maybe.

i want to play the melody part with my horn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Many years ago when I first got into playing in an ensemble (I'd played ensembles before but only as the melody instrument), I used a small cassette tape-recorder and recorded myself playing the melodies to various tunes. That helped me develop my ear for harmony and ensemble-style playing; I played back my recording of the melodies and listened through head-hones while playing with the recording I'd made). True, no chords were present but I heard them in my head. DAVE

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
Get some CDs by:

King Curtis
Red Prysock
Roomful of Blues
Dexter Gordon
BB King
Albert King
Buddy Guy
Coleman Hawkins
Lester Young
Maceo Parker
Phil Woods

and anyone else you enjoy listening to....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
For the play-along function, I use:
_ Band-In-A-Box on my PC (also available for Mac)
_ iRealB on the iPhone (it seems this one also exists for Mac)
Of course, you'll need the chord changes, to enter them in both systems. Some basic tunes are included.
Any type of Realbook will give you both the melody to play, and the chord changes.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Get Band-in-a Box (with Real Tracks). It lets you make your own backing tracks, as long as you know hat chords you need to play to. It's one of the best investments I've ever made.

Of course, there's always the Jamey Aebersold collection of more than 100 play-along cds with books, which you can order over the Internet. I believe they are available in mp3 too, but I'm not sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts