Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My turn to play the COVID game. Fortunately having a mild case.

About 10 people from our big band got sick about a week ago. All doing good.

For those of you that have had COVID, how long did you wait to start playing again? Did you wait until you have a negative test? Something does not feel right about blowing virus through the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,386 Posts
Check the current recommendations. Guidelines vary based on severity of infection, that will in turn vary with vaccination status and previous infections.

The challenge of relying only on a negative test is that you can get a false-positive result from lingering dead virus.

Sorry to hear of your band’s illness. That was a touchy scenario in my band too since the median age was >50 yr.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,204 Posts
Sorry to hear, I was in your very same shoes just a couple weeks ago.

For those of you that have had COVID, how long did you wait to start playing again? Did you wait until you have a negative test? Something does not feel right about blowing virus through the horn.
I waited just about two weeks from when I initially got the virus. Took about 10 days to no longer have the harsh symptoms, and 4 extra days until I felt like everything was out of my system. This was all just recently at the end of April, but basically I just waited until I no longer felt sick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the current recommendations. Guidelines vary based on severity of infection, that will in turn vary with vaccination status and previous infections.

The challenge of relying only on a negative test is that you can get a false-positive result from lingering dead virus.

Sorry to hear of your band’s illness. That was a touchy scenario in my band too since the median age was >50 yr.
Folks did ok. Only one ended up in the hospital but after a couple of days in ICU is out completely. Thank goodness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Good point on the false positive. I'll let time and symptoms be my guide as far as practicing. I play with a lot of older folks so may wait until I get that negative test before I rejoin.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,625 Posts
Got caught mid March. I spent 5 days without external contacts, which was the rule by then. I resumed playing quite immediately afterwards, without major issue. I was just very tired every day after 6 pm. For info, I've had 2+ doses vaccination. At 62, caution is welcome.

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Cannonball 5J hr (Meyer clone produced by JJ Babbitt))
521 Posts
I got it last August. Understand, I have asthma. I was down for 2 months. The long term effects lasted 2 months as well. A mild case is probably easier, but I never do mild!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I've done the COVID dance twice: once with OG COVID in early 2020 and again with Omicron over Christmas 2021.

OG COVID was rough and the recovery was long (healthy, relatively young [35], non-smoker, etc.). A week of not even thinking about playing and then two weeks of feeling like my lungs were "exhausted" after about 20 mins. of light playing. Got back to playing at 100% about a 3-4 weeks after the initial diagnosis.

Omicron was a walk in the park, comparatively, and I recall missing only a day of my usual practice routine. The bummer with Omicron was, being right around Christmas, I had several gigs booked that I had to cancel despite feeling well enough to play. Omicron didn't get into my chest like OG COVID did. I had a terrible day of body aches and chills, and then it felt like a light head cold or allergies thereafter. Had a persistent (dry) throat-cough for a week or two, though.

In short: listen to your body. Don't go spraying virus particles all over your hometown, but I also wouldn't worry too much about practicing while "positive" provided you do so responsibly (i.e., isolated).

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I tested positive a week last Thursday. Haven't felt too bad... just a cold and aches/weakness and general tiredness. I've been trying to practise the horn each day if only for a short time. I'm on my 8th day of isolation and still testing positive. They say over here in UK that you don't have to test after 10 days of isolation as it's likely you are no longer infectious.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,386 Posts
I tested positive a week last Thursday. Haven't felt too bad... just a cold and aches/weakness and general tiredness. I've been trying to practise the horn each day if only for a short time. I'm on my 8th day of isolation and still testing positive. They say over here in UK that you don't have to test after 10 days of isolation as it's likely you are no longer infectious.
Yes, this goes to my earlier post regarding false positives - the PCR is a molecular test that does not discriminate between live or dead virus. If you are no longer producing and shedding live virus, you may still have dead virus in your sinuses that is interpreted as a positive for the presence of viral bodies.

Get well. Be well.

·
Registered
Selmer Super Balanced 80 Pro Series II and Keilwerth EX90 Tenor
54 Posts
Hi all,

My turn to play the COVID game. Fortunately having a mild case.

About 10 people from our big band got sick about a week ago. All doing good.

Just my two cents. I played saxophone the entire time that I had the virus. I was not affected too severely. You cannot get the disease again from yourself by getting your reeds diseased etc., just obviously don't share your equipment for a while, and sanitise your mouthpiece and reed after playing. Shouldn't stop you at all!

Good wishes,

Emmet Fettig

·
Registered
153 Posts
This situation is distressing to me. The community jazz band I play with was stopped cold by Covid. We rehearse at a high school where the music department is run by the lead alto player in the big band, and the school was closed to outsiders, so we lost our rehearsal space, then after about 18 months, our director resigned, not sure why. I REALLY love playing in a big band, and have started to look for another. But hearing about this outbreak makes me realize how much this thing isn't over. Oy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts