Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My VI has been getting sicker and sicker over the past month. It really has been a tank over the last 5 years for lately it's just hasn't felt right. I took it to my tech - doesn't appear to be leaking but sure feels unstable.

Last night while playing a wedding, the horn was insanely flat. I had to push in about a 1/4 more than usual on the neck. It was a struggle and very depressing. So I'm taking one of my Middle School 23's out tonight.

I've had roo pads on the horn for about 6 years. No pads have been replaced and all seem to seal. I play the horn almost everyday - is it possible for pads to slowly develop unseen leaks over time? I think it's time for a repad and just get this horn back together. Now I'm starting to get mental noise regarding the constency of my horn. YIKES.

I'll let you know how the gig goes.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Time to visit Ed!!

Tell him I said hi.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I visited Ed today for the first time...nice guy...long drive for me though...he told me that my horn was leaking all over the place...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,213 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Called Ed. He thinks it's a leaking neck. I coated the neck socket with grease to temporarily seal the leak. Plays way better. Still doing the gig on the 23

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,213 Posts
Called Ed. He thinks it's a leaking neck. I coated the neck socket with grease to temporarily seal the leak. Plays way better. Still doing the gig on the 23
Wipe the grease off, clean with lighter fluid, and wrap the neck tenon with plumbers' teflon tape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts