Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kills me about the Coltrane lives thread is some kind of feeling that younger musicians shouldnt possess world class qualities....yet I have known many

I would like to hear the names of people that you know or knew that are the Ben Solomons and Patrick Bartleys of your generation

I don't mean to leave anyone out but these are the names that come to mind that possessed EXCEPTIONAL technical prowess on the saxophone under age 18.

Tim Hegarty,Pat Zimmerelli,Doug Yates,Andy Farber,Micheal Weissberger,Joey Cavasino,Aaron Drake judging by how they played at 20 Joel Frahm,Kris Jensen,Jesse Davis,Vincent Herring and Chris Potter must have been killers in their early teens

id love to hear stories from our elder members about young killers like Jackie mac.... and hey stories about how so and so really wasn't that great early on and then skyrocketed are welcome as well

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
15,927 Posts
deleted......sorry, I misunderstood the thread.

·
2,384 Posts
I don't know who Ben Solomon or Patrick Bartley are (I almost never get out of the convent these days) but ages ago I recounted my experiences with a 16-year-old James Carter here, in lavish detail.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
That's a great story, Kelly, I hadn't read it before.

(Ben Solomon)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I've posted this before:
"Almost twenty years ago I was playing in an open mic setting at a little club up here which featured jazz. While I was setting up and talking to the house rhythm section I saw a kid coming up to the stage with a tenor. After a little tuning, we decided on the first song ... Billie's Bounce. Next thing you know the kid counts it off at around 300 and proceeds to wipe the floor with me! That was my first introduction to Bill McHenry."

·
Registered
152 Posts
troy roberts from perth wa was excactly the same. walked into uni at the age of 15, blew the 4th years off the stage!!! and almost immediately stole the gigs from the guys lecturing at the uni. the mans a monster player now, even though having moved out of perth to miami. its always a joyous day in perth when he returns for a holiday :D

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I recall going into a restaurant where I worked with a piano player while in univeristy (late 70's I think...). A kid who was around 15 at the time was playing a Super20 alto with a guitar player in a duo. I knew the guitar player and had gigged with him a couple times and he was a great player. I really wondered what he was doing with this young sax player. Then he started to play. The notes flowed out of his horn like melting butter and he effortlessly ran the changes in all the tunes they played. Had I tried the same, I'm sure it would have sounded awkward for the room and way too busy. Young Ralph Bowen made it sound like that was how the song was written to be played. Great tone, great note choices and he made fairly difficult stuff sound very easy...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010-
369 Posts
I have also posted this before-

I went to the High School of Performing Arts here in NYC. That's the school they made the movie "Fame" about. We're talking the late '60s. I was one year behind the late, great Bob Berg!
Bob was a full BAMF at 16. I will never forget coming up a little early to the band room and as I got closer I could hear Giant Steps being played at a ridiculous tempo. I knew the recording well and thought, wow this must be an alternate take. When I got into the big room, there was Bob blowing down the room with a piano & bass behind him. I was stunned. He sounded exactly like Trane back then- had absolute killer chops and great time & ideas.

·
Registered
82 Posts
At first I was thinking that you meant chops that are so bad that they, well, killed. 'Cause I've heard much of that.

·
2,870 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I heard a young fellow, Connor Stewart, from Nanaimo, BC, who literally knocked my socks off. He was playing tenor, but had an alto and soprano on the stand. He led a trio: sax, bass and drums. Been playin' sax for two years. They did some wonderful standards and a couple of originals. Check Conn out on Youtube. It's a Nanaimo Shaw TV bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts