Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for sax players that have similar energy and sound as Phil Woods. I've become a bit obsessed with especially the albums Americans Swinging in Paris, Musique du Bois and Live at the Showboat. The music is energetic, explosive but still has so much tenderness and emotion. I'm finding currently that I'm now missing some of this in my previous (very different) favourite alto sax players such as Paul Desmond and Art Pepper. I still love those, but want to find other players that capture some of what I like with Phil Woods.

Happy to hear some suggestions?

(Not sure if I put this request in the right sub-forum, if not please let me know...)

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are some qualities I hear that remind me of some aspects of Phil's playing: Richie Cole, Bud Shank, George Robert. But there was only one Phil.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'd check out Vincent Herring. There's a great album called "Alto Summit" with Phil, Vincent, and Antonio Hart (another one to check out). I think Vincent might be thought of more as a Cannonball descendent due a lot of his early work with Nat Adderley but he has qualities of Phil's playing as well. Of course check out Cannonball too if you haven't already.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Sonny Criss. Cannonball Adderley. Arthur Blythe. Oliver Lake. Pete Brown. Charlie Mariano, John Handy, Shafi Hadi. Hank Crawford. Lou Donaldson. Jimmy Ford (not gonna be easy to find recordings). Sonny Stitt! And of course,

Charlie Parker!!!

Listen to all these guys for a while and come back and let us know how it went.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parker and Cannonball I've listened a lot to, and like a lot as well! I'll check out the rest too, many thanks guys :)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Be sure to check out Kenny Garrett too. A bit more outside, but capable of real delicacy too. His album Simply Said is one of my favorite all time alto albums because of the wide range of styles and dynamics.

·
Premium Member
15,496 Posts
Here's my friend Robert Anchipolovsky. He was a dear friend of Phils and a student for life.
Beautiful player!
Just remember, Phil was a one of a kind! Nobody comes close.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Check out Bobby Militello. He played with Dave Brubeck for decades until his(Brubeck's) death.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
I know he was mentioned already, but check out Sonny Stitt for sure. He totally fits the description of what you said you're looking for.

And I'd second Bobby Watson also. I used to see him when he played with Art Blakey and man what a fantastic alto player!

·
Registered
1 Posts
interesting not to see any recommodations for David Sanborn but just to give some more names of interest Ernie Henry Trevor Watts Peter King Chris Hunter Keshavan Maslak but there are thousands more out there which where not in the right place at the right time but worth to pay attention on

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys, stop... (Just kidding, these are great and keep them coming!)

I'm trying to keep up with listening to all the recommendations and taking notes - I'll give an update when I'm done.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
interesting not to see any recommodations for David Sanborn but just to give some more names of interest Ernie Henry Trevor Watts Peter King Chris Hunter Keshavan Maslak but there are thousands more out there which where not in the right place at the right time but worth to pay attention on
he also had an engaging persona, and with musicians! ; ) ,...that counts for something.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts