Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hastily moving through St. Marcos Square yesterday and heard a nice jazz trio or quartet playing. They had a soprano player with what looked like an unlacquered bronze or brass Rampone and Cazzani and he sounded great. Just curious if it’s anyone on SOTW. By the way, I wish I’d had the time to sit down and listen and to say hello, but on the way to meet a guide for the day.

·
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On 2nd thought, it may have been a Borgani as it had that fairly thick joint from body to bell.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I was hastily moving through St. Marcos Square yesterday

and heard a nice jazz trio or quartet playing. They had a soprano player with what looked like an unlacquered bronze or brass Rampone and Cazzani and he sounded great.

I wish I’d had the time to sit down and listen and to say hello,
I was in St Marks square last summer, and didnt move a metre in haste.
The amount of people made it a nightmare. I loved the idea of being there, but hated the experience, simply because of the sheer numbers of visitors.
I would never go back in the summer, but perhaps you have chosen a better time to visit.

I also heard a jazz quartet there. Guy in his 30s playing jazz tenor. Nice player. Didn’t see a soprano.
The area in front of the restaurant was cordoned off, and you had to pay to sit there.
So I sat on a step about 20 feet away, intending to listen for 10 minutes. A waiter came over and tried to charge me for listening!!!
He had no chance, but looked as if he was going to cause a scene, so I moved on. My one day in Venice was not my favourite day of my lovely Italian holiday.

·
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Though crowded with the in and out tour crowd, I understand it’s far worse in Summer. As for Venice, I think it takes a few days to get the feel of the place, which is quite amazing. You’ve got to get out of the Square and into the neighborhoods with their countless great restaurants and sidewalk cafes. Took us a couple nights to appreciate the uniqueness of the place. Though great, Tuscany and Cinqua Terre area are incredible!

View attachment 235670

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,940 Posts
Any other sax related sightings? Looks like great place for Fish plate.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Any other sax related sightings? Looks like great place for Fish plate.
Yes, went up a cable car near Lake Garda last summer. Walked about 500 metres to a high spot, and came across a guy playing a curved soprano !! Fantastic experience, in the middle of nowhere.

·
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No other sightings but will search tonight. The idea that I might shop for horns while in Italy is comical!!! We haven't stopped moving since the 13th!

·
Registered
917 Posts

The idea that I might shop for horns while in Italy is comical!!!
The kind of places you are visiting, you are going to struggle to find a sax shop.

I know Cinque Terre fairly well, and Tuscany very well, and I cant remember seeing a sax shop. Possibly Florence...... but Rome, Milan or Turin would be your best bet.

Actually... no.... your best bet is more wine and olive oil with nice bread.

·
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
“Actually... no.... your best bet is more wine and olive oil with nice bread.”

Yep, all about the beauty of the place, the food and wine and the people. Really, no time left for anything else!

·
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL, with every neal!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts