Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I've been concentrating on my new/old YAS21 for the last 2 months, after noticing my arthritic wrists, (fingering, especially on clar.!) and frozen shoulder, (weight of tenor) bothered me. The change to alto has been going well and I've been able to work 2-4 30 min practice sessions daily. Yesterday, I had a surprise call to play tenor in a bib g band. I hauled out my old Bundy One, found a Legere #2 1/2 that worked on my HR Berg and played for 1 1/2 hours. It was like meeting an old friend. My sound was decent, fingering and weight wasn't a problem, (after a codeine tab plus my recently bought copper wrist bands, which helped). BUT...last night, I was in big pain from that shoulder! Was it worth it? Yes, dammit!

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
That's a long time with a tenor hanging off one's neck! What kind of neck strap?
I did the same last night with my New Wonder I tenor only with no audience. That may be good thing.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here it is:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,419 Posts
Hi! I've been concentrating on my new/old YAS21 for the last 2 months, after noticing my arthritic wrists, (fingering, especially on clar.!) and frozen shoulder, (weight of tenor) bothered me. The change to alto has been going well and I've been able to work 2-4 30 min practice sessions daily. Yesterday, I had a surprise call to play tenor in a bib g band. I hauled out my old Bundy One, found a Legere #2 1/2 that worked on my HR Berg and played for 1 1/2 hours. It was like meeting an old friend. My sound was decent, fingering and weight wasn't a problem, (after a codeine tab plus my recently bought copper wrist bands, which helped). BUT...last night, I was in big pain from that shoulder! Was it worth it? Yes, dammit!
Great! You'll probably soon do it without the med.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Practise in front of a full body mirror so you can check that you keep a good posture while playing.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I usually do have a full length mirror. I recently had a new practice room built and I'll put that mirror back. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,951 Posts
Fantastic! Glad to hear you’re out enjoying yourself. Cool thing those copper bracelets. You may also have some luck with your arthritis eliminating niteshades from you food selection. Codeine.....makes me itch inside out.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have a wider neckstrap which I used on this occasion. It's an old Ray Hyman. I sewed a cloth pad and a furry fleece piece onto the strap. I didn't use my harness, which would have helped. I was in too much of a hurry. Next time, I'll know better. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts