Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Played a friends Yanagisawa A9933 alto with the sterling silver neck and bell today and then played his Selmer Reference 54 which I thought was the best alto I ever played. Guys, all I can say is WOW! The Yani is incredible. Same power as the 54 but an even bigger richer sound and so even in sound from top to bottom. The intonation was spot on. Silver Sonic is back. I was blown away and am sick now. His 54 killed my Yamaha Z and now the Yani? Damn thing vibrates in your hands.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I love Yanagisawas. They are the best Selmer I ever played! Core, with a bit of grit, buzz, and ring! If the altissimo were a bit better I'd favor it in all situations over my silver 82Z.

The 82Z is a high rpm, high horsepower horn but you gotta work to keep the rpms up to get the most out of it. Yanagisawas tend to be high torque, with a lot of off-idle grunt that feels good and is easy and fun to drive -- but it aint getting around the track as fast as the Z. That's how I see the difference in the two best tenors I have. One delivers on maximum pleasure, the other on maximum performance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
Yanis are the horns Selmer should be making (if only they could). My A992 is my no. 1 alto while my Mark VI serves as backup. I like their baris too. I wish they would come out with a low Bb version.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I play a Ref. 54 alto and it's a wonderful alto, one of the best I've ever owned ..... but ..... the Yani 9933 would be my dream alto. They're just so darn rare. The 9933 alto speaks differently than the 901/991 series due to the silver neck and bell and the metal resonators. In fact, I think Yanagisawa puts even more into their Silver Sonic line. I've owned many altos over the years and have played two 9933's and they are extremely rich and powerful; effortless. I think it's the best alto made.

·
2,312 Posts
Sharp looking horn too. I love the looks of the siver bell and neck. Really gives it some class.

·
1,423 Posts
how was the resistance of the Yani compared to the Selmer?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was none. I barely breathed and the sound just jumped out. I was taken for a moment. This horn can get really loud and yet you can whisper but the sound stays full and beautiful. Don't get me wrong, his Selmer 54 is similiar in this way but the sound is even fuller on the 9933. The keywork on the 9933 is better too. The Selmer 54 action on every 54 I ever played always seems too high in the bottom stack right hand and the sound is smoother in the upper register than the bottom register. The Yanagisawa 9933 sound is even from bottom to top very full and rich and the keywork is super comfortable. I brought my Yamaha 82Z and the upper register of the Z was thin and bright rather embarasing over the Yanaigawa 9933. No comparison but I can't afford a 9933.

·
Premium Member
YAS-61 Alto, Winston Soprano, RNM Tenor
41 Posts
It would be interesting for you to compare a 9933 with a 992. I may be wrong, but I believe they're mechanically the same & just differ in the metals used for the neck, body, and bell. If it met your expectations, you might find it a more affordable option..

-John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,862 Posts
If you like the 9933, try the 9937.

The difference to me was like night and day. I have long wanted to get a 9937, and just purchased one....well, I am in the process of purchasing it! lol!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a chance to play Doug Masek's 9937 a while back. The 9933 impressed me just as much. These Silver Sonic series horns are amazing. All the Yanagisawa altos are great but these sterling silver series have so much presence fullness richness and power it throws you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,862 Posts
I will vouch for a noticeable difference between the 9933 and the solid silver 9937. I have played all the different sterling silver configurations of the Yanis (including a few of the limited editions too), and to me the 9937 horns were noticeably better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
My friend had a 9937 tenor and didnt like it. I had a chance to acquire it for around $5800 -- just couldnt go that high for a horn.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've played the 9937 tenor and actually preferred the 991. The 991 simply had more ring and vibrance. Adding the sterling neck to a 991 was pretty incredible also. The 9937 tenor was smooth sounding but lacked the vibrance I like for Jazz and contemporary music. The horn was extremely heavy also but man these horns are beautiful. Haven't had a chance to play the 9933 tenor but have heard it's very much like an old SilverSonic with a perfect balance of vibrance and smoothness to it's sound. I am curious to try the 9933 tenor but they are rare here in the US.

With the altos, I prefer the 9933 over the 9937. The 9933 reminds me of an old King SilverSonic but of course with better ergos and intonation. Both are spectacular horns but for me the 9933 is preferred. With the sterling & brass combination, it has the smoothness and yet the vibrance and power when you lean into it. Goes to show, we all have different preferences. To me it's the perfect alto for every setting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts