Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a little time to burn in town today and decided to test whatever tenors they had at the local shop since I had my tenor with me and I have a couple students looking for upgrades or moves to tenor from alto. I’m not reviewing each individually or picking a winner, but I’ll give a few notes on each. Their horn guy wasn’t in, but the shop owner said all four were straight from the supplier (no set up work).

1. Yamaha 62ii lacquered: felt great and played just as well. Nice snappy set up and spoke easily top to bottom including well up into the extended range. Very centered core sound. Felt a little edgy but could easily be backed off.

2. Yamaha Custom EX lacquered: again, felt great and played just as well. Solid core sound but a little dry/ lacking in the sparkle or sizzle 🤣. Didn’t feel quite as flexible tone wise as the 62, but a damn fine saxophone.

3. Yamaha Advantage lacquered: there were a couple easily noticed leaks that made the E, F, F# area a little soft/ fragile feeling, but overall pretty well regulated. For me the fingerboard was a little more comfortable than the other two, but that’s no biggie. I know there are obvious reasons that the 62 and 875 are more expensive, but this is a great playing horn! Flexible sound and the most free blowing of the three Yamahas, but also a little less of that centered core. No high F# if that matters. I had more fun playing this sax than the other three. Screaming altissimo that just popped out almost effortlessly.

4. Andreas Eastman 52nd St Black lacquer: except for the neck tenon being too tight for comfort (hello pull down...), it’s in good adjustment: nice and snappy. Reminded me a lot of my old Phil Barone Vintage (but not as good): big, loud, freeblowing, and a spread sound. Smooth and snappy keywork and speaks easily top to bottom with a nice throaty altissimo.

All four examples are really nice saxes, and I was surprised the student Yamaha was my favorite...even with the need for minor set up work to be in peak playing condition. Anyway, Very fun to play all these saxes and see what’s out there. Btw: I wouldn’t trade my Viking m58s for any of them 💜

Edit: I guess I did end up individually reviewing AND picking a favorite 🤣

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
I have been going to my local store and playing the Yamaha 62 II tenor for fun mind you because I can, and its a fantastic horn. if I were in the market for a new tenor I would choose it.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been going to my local store and playing the Yamaha 62 II tenor for fun mind you because I can, and its a fantastic horn. if I were in the market for a new tenor I would choose it.
Yeah, It’s a really nice playing horn and I’ve had the opportunity to try out a few of them recently...all great!

Was weight an issue on any of the tenors?
I played my horn for a few minutes to feel out the room, then tested them in the order I wrote about them. The first thing I said to myself when I picked up the Eastman was that it seemed significantly heavier than the Yamahas and my Viking, and it definitely felt heavier on the strap. The Advantage might’ve been slightly lighter than the other two Yamahas but really not noticeable...all three of them felt really comfortable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts