Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some play along books with cd's with them. I know, for example , there are hal lenard (spelling) books where , for guitar, they have backing tracks that you practice to.

I am looking for something with blues and jazz play alongs, to work on playing in different keys, and different styles.

Any recomendations?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
There are the Aebersold books which are similar to the Hal Leonard ones that you mentioned. I personally am a huge fan of the Greg Fishman etude books. Each has a few blues, rhythm changes, Latin styles, ballads, straight-ahead swing, etc. AND the etudes do a great job of teaching phrasing & a modern jazz vocabulary. Each book has stuff that is easy enough to sight read & stuff that will keep you practicing for years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
You don't say what level you're looking for so I'll shoot from the hip on this one. Google Schott Music or Curnow Music. Those are publishers available in lots of places, eg Amazon, sheetmusicplus, their own websites. I like their play-a-long CDs better than Leonard's. And, they have various styles and degrees of difficulty to experiment with. If the written music turns out too simple, just get the melody in your head and start improvising around it still using the playalong CDs! Cheers and good luck!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry, I am a beginner. Been playing 8 months or so. i know music theory from being a drummer for twenty years and can read music, know about theory like the back of my hand.

I know about key signatures/time signatures, codas, ds al coda, crescendo, decresendo, firmata..

I am looking for beginning sax studies up to intermediate studies, am not at what i would consider advanced by any means.

I will look up these when I get home. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I strongly recommend a Smart Music Subscription for $36 per year. You have a one time fee of about $20 to purchase the microphone to use while tuning and to record yourself. The program shows the chord progressions, but you need to purchase the books to have the heads of the tunes. The great advantage is that you can adjust the tempo and even change the key if you like. The current version includes the following jazz improvisation tracks:

Aebersold 12 Duke Ellington
Aebersold 2 Nothin' But Blues
Aebersold 31 Bossa Novas
Aebersold 3 ii V I
Aebersold 41 Body and Soul
Aebersold 50 Magic of Miles
Aebersold 54 Maiden Voyage Easy to Play Jazz Tunes
Aebersold 6 Charlie Parker All Bird
Alfred Master Tracks Blues
Alfred Master Tracks Fusion
Alfred Master Tracks Jazz
Alfred Master Tracks Latin
Alfred Master Tracks Dixieland
Wynton Marsalis Vol. 1 Magic Hour
Wynton Marsalis Vol. 2 Originals
Wynton Marsalis Vol. 3 Standards
Wynton Marsalis Vol. 4

In addition there are many great big band arrangements that you can play along with at all levels of ability, and the music is provided on the screen for these.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again. I appreciate the wide variety of choices given here. Jbt, that sounds very interesting, I like the fact you can practice the same song in different keys. I am going to be getting some learning materials of those explained above soon, and this gives me many choices. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi I'm looking for play-along books for jazz standards.
Hopefully with great backing tracks.

I play Alto Sax.

Any recommendation? Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,206 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts