Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been playing for about 2 years now and I am most fond of the Plasticover no 2 reeds.

Recently, I ran out of reeds and I put a Vandoren 2.5 on my (tenor) sax. I had the worst time trying to produce any sound. I made the reed very moist before, but still it was almost impossible to get a non-hissing sound and it cost me a lot of effort. I tried with a second reed, same story.

Perhaps it is just that the softer reeds are way easier to play with and I need to practice more? Or could I just have had a bad box of reeds?

I would be curious to hear some opinions on this big difference between the two.

·
Registered
840 Posts
As martinmclaren has implied, the difference between Vandoren blue 2.5 and Plasticover 2 is considerable; there's usually a good half-strength difference between Vandoren and Rico to start with, and you tried Vandoren 2.5 which adds another half-strength on top of that again. You may also have noticed that the Vandoren sound is considerably wider/spread than the sound of the Plasticover and may not like that if you're not accustomed to it; Plasticover reeds tend to produce a very focused, narrow tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,081 Posts
Even a pro would not consider going up a whole step in strength suddenly - it would take some time and would basically be pointless to start with. As a pro, he already has his mouthpiece and reed combination. With the natural variability in cane reeds, there is plenty of opportunity for pushing your chops by simply using the harder reeds of your normal selection.
So, bottom line, you really can't expect to be able to play in that circumstance. That's why we carry several good reeds with us in the case for local engagements. A road player might carry several boxes depending on the length of the tour. That way you don't have to spend your down time chasing reeds in Hicksville. Yes, there is such a place - in New York and it was the home of Guardala mouthpieces.
Since you use Plasticover #2 normally, and in my experience they tend to run hard, I would suggest you pick up some Rico 'Orange Box' #2 1/2. You might actually like them better - never know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,351 Posts
Since you use Plasticover #2 normally, and in my experience they tend to run hard, I would suggest you pick up some Rico 'Orange Box' #2 1/2. You might actually like them better - never know.
Aren't Plasticover reeds basically an Orange Box reed that has been dipped in Special Sauce? Same reed stock? Same cut?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,757 Posts
Aren't Plasticover reeds basically an Orange Box reed that has been dipped in Special Sauce? Same reed stock? Same cut?

Yep. But the hardness charts may be different.

I couldnt say about soft reeds like that. Not what i use.

dsm

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not sure if this is the place to ask... A guy came over to buy a sax from me and used a reed I had never seen before (I haven't played in 12+ years). It was translucent, light-colored plastic and not a natural reed product. I forgot what he called it, but is this a Plasticover type reed or something else?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts