Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my favourite bass clarinet sounds is John Surman on his old album
"Westering Home" I found out later he uses hard bari plastic tenor reeds.
I tried one and although I liked the result I had some feel and control issues. The bari bassclarinet reeds don't work for me so I tried Plasticover tenor reeds and I'm really liking them on my Fobes piece. Intonation seems fine too unlike on my soprano clarinet ( flat). A shorter barrel would sort this I think.
Anybody else using Plasticover tenors on bass ?
Its a good match tonally too to my bari on which I have used Plasticover too for a few years now.
thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know about the plastic, but I use tenor reeds on my bass clari. They seem to be identical to bass clari reeds and music shops always have them.

I used plastic reeds on all my instruments for a few years, but in the end I went back to wood because I prefer the warmer sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
I'm very early in my Bass clarinet career but I've found tenor plasticovers to be my reed of choice so far (on a Vandoren B45). Not that I'm claiming to be any great expert on the giant misery stick..... soon my plan will be complete- musical saw, bass clarinet and trombone... I'll be fully equipped to run off with the circus!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts

·
7,867 Posts
The Rhythm Jester is great, I did use it a lot on gigs. It's not really built for live use, so I sampled it, but it's not the same thing. On the Jester you can combine different rhythms (say "Polka" and "Western") into new ones. It has a life of it's own.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
Personally, I think Plasticovers play like crap on any instrument. But I'm glad somebody likes them. That aside, any good quality bass clarinet reed has the potential to work well on tenor sax, and vice versa. Notice I wrote "potential", that was intentional.

·
7,867 Posts
Yes I have a Maestro catalogue from 1972. I got in on Ebay. It has the drum boxes, woodwind effects W3, wah wah pedals etc. I just got this great book too
Analog Mans Guide to Vintage Effects..it has all the Maestro pedals etc in it plus all the other makers. You might have it.

http://www.formusiciansonly.com/payment.html

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150604231451&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Nice, I see my ringmodulator! (actually built by Oberheim btw)

·
1,364 Posts
Nice one..I've had a bass a long time and never tried them until now. Those are pretty good doubles in the circles I run with. I think you need a theremin

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140553249866&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Keep on being tempted by one of these- slightly worried that, as the majority of my 'weird work' is in Europe, EasyJet would have issues with unidentidfied boxes of wires in my suitcase.... the saw is risky enough to take on planes! Actually I once did a duet with saw and a theramin player- the two are almost indistinguishable at times... the theramin has a slightly wider sound palette, but my saw wins out on pure theatricality!

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Personally, I think Plasticovers play like crap on any instrument. But I'm glad somebody likes them. That aside, any good quality bass clarinet reed has the potential to work well on tenor sax, and vice versa. Notice I wrote "potential", that was intentional.
Plasticovers you either love them or the other. They are good for rock n roll and hooligan music generally. I don't like them on alto or tenor but bari and soprano I do.
Good for wailing on clarinets if you like wailing. I wish they made them for sopranino.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keep on being tempted by one of these- slightly worried that, as the majority of my 'weird work' is in Europe, EasyJet would have issues with unidentidfied boxes of wires in my suitcase.... the saw is risky enough to take on planes! Actually I once did a duet with saw and a theramin player- the two are almost indistinguishable at times... the theramin has a slightly wider sound palette, but my saw wins out on pure theatricality!
Theatricality is so important I think..you could play great rock n roll tenor and bass clarinet but add the saw and that'll get the biggest applause and be talked about after for the entertainment value. That's why I just ordered this four foot Bamboo flute.

http://www.thomasrichardsonmusic.com/content/chinese-tan-bamboo-4-foot-kill-bill-flute-replica

·
1,364 Posts
Theatricality is so important I think..you could play great rock n roll tenor and bass clarinet but add the saw and that'll get the biggest applause and be talked about after for the entertainment value. That's why I just ordered this four foot Bamboo flute.

http://www.thomasrichardsonmusic.com/content/chinese-tan-bamboo-4-foot-kill-bill-flute-replica
Yer not wrong. I recently got drafted back into a blues and skiffle street band I used to play with about 10 - 15 years ago for a couple of gigs and a few days busking. Lots of grungey blues harp playing, a bit of honking tenor but.. on the busking gigs, St James Infirmary Blues, with totally over the top, Tim Burton/ Danny Elfman-ish music saw accompaniment was the one song which would imediately pull a crowd every time we aired it....
W/ Sandy Dillon in Den Haag....

·
1,364 Posts
. Tom Waits vibe.
Totally- in fact Sandy Dillon uses Ralph Carney and Mark Ribot on some of her albums so I end up being the live version of Ralph Carney's sax parts (I feel quite chuffed about that one!)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts