Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I've recently been playing Rico Plasticover reeds (plastic coated cane reeds) and I love em. I just have this paranoia around the plastic part. I remember a school teacher talking about how the deteriorating plastic in Nalgene bottles screwed up her thyroid gland. I know I have a sensitive metabolism. Any more information on this topic to put my mind at ease (either way) would be awesome!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
There are many different varieties of plastics. Considering deterioration of reeds is inevitable I'm sure Rico took player health into considering well before releasing the reeds (I recently read they've been around for 50 years??). As long as you don't get extra hungry and munch on a reed you should be safe ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
No they won't poison you but they do sound terrible.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,156 Posts
Surely the opinion about the sound is not relevant to this post, which is about the possible toxicity.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,081 Posts
Surely the opinion about the sound is not relevant to this post, which is about the possible toxicity.
Besides, Thomas' opinion about the sound is wrong, unless he's only talking about how he sounds on them.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,156 Posts
it's not relevant but it's funny.
Are you sure? I can think of funnier things!

I've never known Plasticovers to sound bad, unless played by someone with an innate ability to make any reed sound bad.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Well, I thought it was pretty funny! Of course, I've never played one myself. I always found the prospect of picking and/or spitting plastic flakes (poisonous or not) out of my mouth to be rather unappealing. I must say, though, that I am now tempted to order a box just to try them out. Maybe I'll pick up a box of those Flavoreeds while I'm at it!

(That last sentence was a joke . . . ha ha?)

·
2,077 Posts
"Maybe I'll pick up a box of those Flavoreeds while I'm at it!"
And then drill a hole half-way through the heart of it. That'll do the trick!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,239 Posts
Sometimes I found them like giving a sense of "hot", like if they have a drop of hot sauce... others find them as with a sense of warmth... and most of the time not at all.

I had this same doubt years ago. I do not remember the answer that Rico gave me, but I asked about the covering of the reeds being toxic or something. Of course they said no way at all. I would not imagine them to answer something different.

But think of this... Having the plastic cover, they can be easily cleaned after played.

Natural reeds don't, so imagine those HORRIBLE FUNGUS living in the normal reeds... being happy forever as they meet some other bacteria that reproduce surrounded by saliva and having great jams at the reed holder...

That being said... Do not pay attention, blow what you like and live your life.

JI

PD
By the way... I use them, number 3, and love them.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
"sound terrible?" tell that to

James Carter
Plas Johnson
Dave Koz
Pete Christlieb
Frank Catalano

Just to name a few...

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,239 Posts
"sound terrible?" tell that to

James Carter
Plas Johnson
Dave Koz
Pete Christlieb
Frank Catalano

Just to name a few...
Correct, just to name a few. Many have found that Plasticovers are great reed not only for Rock and Roll. It can help with many styles and with altissimo too.

I find them the best reeds for my playing.

You can add Mark Russo, a master of altissimo who played with Yellowjackets, of course you know... He uses them with a Meyer mouthpiece on Alto.

He played there before Bob Mintzer arrived. His performance in the track Room with a View is awesome.

Mexico's best, Remi Alvarez, uses them too, with a Guardala mouthpiece on Tenor. He plays mostly free jazz. remialvarez.com

Many players find them as the correct choice.

·
SOTW Pragmatist
2,900 Posts
Oxygen is poisonous, so I do take anti-oxidants. You can purchase an anti-plasticant if you are concerned. I don't use Plasticovers, but I do have a plastic mouthpiece, so I take my anti-plasticants daily.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Oh, I don't know, Plas Johnson always sounded pretty good on his;).

·
2,853 Posts
They have been in use for quite some time now. I think we would be able to point to some instance of someone being poisoned or having serious health issues due to using Plasticover reeds. (Never say never).

Poisonous? Probably not.

Good for you? Probably not.

Would I worry about it? Probably not.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts