Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Quick question for you who might be Plasticover users. If you get a bum reed (or 3) in a box of these things, what do you do about it? I mean, if the reed is too hard you can't exactly sand it like a regular reed without taking off the black stuff, so what can you do? I know some people probably drill them ala bootman, but my wife dosen't allow me to use power tools:) so are there any other techniques available to work on these things? Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,770 Posts
As far as I could tell when I played them, you pretty much have to play them as they come out of the box. No real possibilities for adjustment.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
You have to sacrifice the plastic coating, but they are adjustable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Just work them like usual, the plastic treatment seems to impregnate quite a way in. You loose the funky black finish, but thats all.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
You can press them with your thumb against the facing a few times to try to loosen them up. and if you want to drill the reed, you can use a manual flat screw driver, no power needed (except for elbow grease).

·
Registered
511 Posts
Lately I've had luck by scraping the flat portion (that goes against the m/p table) with a sharp, straight knife blade. As I did this I noticed that plastic covering was scraping off the outer edges, but not the center, indicating that the outer edges had a thicker covering, preventing the reed from sealing against the mouthpiece. Anyway, a couple of them that were unplayable became very decent.

·
Registered
140 Posts
u can try adjust the position of the reed; when placing the reeed to the mpc, lower down the position of the reed, so that the tip of the mpc is slightly above the tip of the reed. This might help a bit
Another trick is to tighten the ligature closer to the tip of the mpc then the usual position. This will shorten the length of the section of the reed to vibrate and will be easier to play a bit.

·
Registered
255 Posts
toxic?

Does anyone know about the possible toxic nature of the plastic used to coat the Plasticover reeds? When the reeds start to break down (or sanded), particles of the black plastic can be ingested by the player. I always figured that plastic was not such a good thing to take into our bodies.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Gd question steve, I nv thought of that! I nv file or sand them, I play them fresh outta from the box.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
Hard Plasticovers Very Much Appreciated...

Why, because I find that 3.5 are too hard for what I want to do and 3 become too soft too early, but... if you find a hard one, may be the best reed in a few days, and may last longer.

All the best,

JI

·
Registered
140 Posts
3.5 is actually even 3 for the some of the classical reeds like vandoren classic. Did u ever tried other reeds? Like vandoren java? Its brighter

·
Registered
140 Posts
Agree with u bayview. =)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
Plasticovers do last a long time and provided you have a good flat table mpc they will play more consistently than any other reed out there. The big plus is that a Plasticover will work in extreme weather conditions. I've been using them for years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
they are very consistent, but i got a slight problem, the sound tends to be brighter and thinner, i waas wonderin if there is a size 4? haha my mpc is jj classic 7

1 - 17 of 17 Posts