Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been playing Plasticover reeds for years now, and over that time I've gotten used to the nasty sort of taste the first time or two that I pop a new reed in my mouth. The other day I opened up a new box and put a reed in my mouth and....no nasty taste. Surely anyone who plays these knows what I'm talking about, it's just a sharp, "chemically" sort of taste, but this new reed had none of that. It was then I noticed on the box that it said, "new formula" or some such thing. Anyone else notice this, or have my taste buds finally bit the dust?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,457 Posts
Never noticed a funny taste on them in nearly 60 years.

·
Formerly mdavej
1,324 Posts
Opposite experience for me. Plasticovers always numbed my lips and tongue to some degree. Very unpleasant. Haven't tried another in the past 30 years or so.

Will be interesting to hear the recent experience of others.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Opposite experience for me. Plasticovers always numbed my lips and tongue to some degree. Very unpleasant. Haven't tried another in the past 30 years or so.

Will be interesting to hear the recent experience of others.
Same for me. Numb lips and plastic flecks stuck to them as the plastic coating flaked away. Never again

·
Registered
867 Posts
It says "New and improved formula" on the upper right hand corner of the box. I have no idea how long that has been on the box, I just got two boxes a few weeks ago.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,269 Posts
I had not felt the tingle nor had the funny taste, but I've sure had the little black plastic flakes - many of them. That cured me of those reeds. I always mention that in threads about Plasticovers just in case some readers new to the site have missed that little detail about Plasticovers. DAVE

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think they may have addressed the decades long concerns about the flaking paint, I'm throwing away used reeds that for the most part have all the paint on them and I haven't been picking those paint specks off my tongue for a few months. I wonder when they switched?, I noticed the box graphics have been different for a few months. Also, the consistency has been very good too, I always get 3-4 useable reeds out of every box

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've used the same reed for three performances and a few practice sessions, it still looks like new although it plays like it's about to expire. Now that I'm paying attention to the paint flaking/chipping, I'm noticing far better adherence of the paint to the reeds.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've been playing Plasticovers on tenor sax exclusively for the past 10 years. This past month I've done several shows ioutdoors with temperatures hovering around 100 degrees with uncomfortable Midwest humidity. These new Plasticovers came through. My experience with the "Improved Formula" is to concur with that statement. I've had no flaking of the black paint on any of the reeds and the only paint loss has been minuscule specks. (I can remember in the past having to flick the paint specks off my tongue.) All of the 2.5 reeds in the box play but I'm finding 3-4 of the 5 are gig worthy. That's very good.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
I was one of those who wrote to Rico about the taste that the reeds have (or had). I found that very unpleasant feeling and really did upset me that never answered frankly. First they said that a lab was going to test the reeds to let players know that it was safe. Then that the lab took too much time, so changed lab. New lab stated that the reeds were safe is used as intended. Then came this change of formula.

I have reached them again to just find out what do the ingredients of the formula might be and just have denied any answer claiming it is a proprietary formula.

That's the reason I have played Green Javas since then instead of the Plasticovers. I also considered to ask by court means to force them to let know if the formula is FDSA safe.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've always loved the plasticovers. Started playing on them in highschool marching band because of their increased durability. I have always been impressed with the number of good reeds that come in a box too. I cant say I remember ever experiencing the numb lips or chemical taste, though I have had the black paint flecks on my lips, which is a huge negative when you are a teenage boy and you are trying to be smooth with a cute flute player and you've got black paint chunks stuck to your lips. I gave them up after that humiliation. Now that I am old and married I revisited them a few years ago and absolutely love the tone they give me on my "new" vintage Buescher, now that there is a new formula that doesn't flake off on your lips I am itching to get my hands on another box of these.
What supplier do you suppose has the freshest stock of these reeds? I would hate to order and receive the old formula and be disappointed.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The NEW Plasticovers have been around for over a year, I get mine from WWBW and Weiner and I've been always getting the new formula. I've already stated that these are a great improvement over the previous incarnation of Plasticover reeds. No funny taste, no paint specks and they play really well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,136 Posts
… What supplier do you suppose has the freshest stock of these reeds? I would hate to order and receive the old formula and be disappointed.
Late reply, but I guess you could ask them if it says "New and improved formula" on the box.

I'm going to order some of these. Haven't played plasticover since the 1980s!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts