Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
You dont care about reason? You dont care about commercial shills infesting this site? You dont care about everything saxophone? There's so much jive infesting this site, there isnt enough "stirring up" as far as I'm concerned.
"Play what ever you want", just dont voice an opinion, or even worse, use logic and reason to debunk the obvious shills that try to manufacture some sort of reality here? Listen to yourselves . . .

·
4,023 Posts
Man, Galt! If your only reason for coming on here was to stir s*** up, we've got enough of that already. :shock: Play whatever you want. Nobody cares! Go back to Galt's Gulch and grow your own cane. Nobody cares!!![Impnt]
Skip the attempt to shame him into self-censorship. Instead, add something constructive, such as your own experiences with synthetics. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Personally I play nothing but Fibracells at present, from soprano to bari and including Bb, alto, and bass clarinets. If I found a mouthpiece and/or ligature that did not take well to them, I'd find another rather than going on a reed hunting expedition. I highly recommend sticking with the Premium (numbered) variety, as this greatly reduces the variance from one reed to the next.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You dont care about reason? You dont care about commercial shills infesting this site? You dont care about everything saxophone? There's so much jive infesting this site, there isnt enough "stirring up" as far as I'm concerned.
"Play what ever you want", just dont voice an opinion, or even worse, use logic and reason to debunk the obvious shills that try to manufacture some sort of reality here? Listen to yourselves . . .
I see one person* giving reasoned points for and against synthetics, and one person trying to 'manufacture some sort of reality' here, do you know which person is which?

*well maybe a few people actually.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
752 Posts
OK. When I came back to sax after a very long hiatus,
I was very disappointed in the quality and consistency
of current cane reeds. I don't have the patience to
sift through a box or two of reeds to find one or two
players. [Impnt]

When I discovered synthetics, they were a
Godsend. I use Legeres. They play right out of the
package without conditioning, shaving, sanding, soaking
or anything else. And they are very consistent.
(And if you're thinking I'm a shill for "Big Reed", think again.
If Legere heard my playing, they might pay me to keep my mouth shut.) :(

Sure there might be a better cane reed out there
somewhere, but I'm not going to spend my life searching
for it. I've got better things to do.

When I say, "Nobody cares", I think I'm voicing what
most are saying. Play what works for you. This is a
forum about opinions. We all have them. That doesn't
make me right and you wrong. I use what works for me.
Simple as that.

When someone makes sweeping statements such as "they
suck", I get a little suspicious. When someone tries
to shove their opinion down my throat, I get
aggravated. Save that stuff for the looters. :D

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
OK. When I came back to sax after a very long hiatus,
I was very disappointed in the quality and consistency
of current cane reeds. I don't have the patience to
sift through a box or two of reeds to find one or two
players. [Impnt]

When I discovered synthetics, they were a
Godsend. I use Legeres. They play right out of the
package without conditioning, shaving, sanding, soaking
or anything else. And they are very consistent.
(And if you're thinking I'm a shill for "Big Reed", think again.
If Legere heard my playing, they might pay me to keep my mouth shut.) :(

Sure there might be a better cane reed out there
for it. I've got better things to do.

When I say, "Nobody cares", I think I'm voicing what
most are saying. Play what works for you. This is a
forum about opinions. We all have them. That doesn't
make me right and you wrong. I use what works for me.
Simple as that.

When someone makes sweeping statements such as "they
suck", I get a little suspicious. When someone tries
to shove their opinion down my throat, I get
aggravated. Save that stuff for the looters. :D
Amen to that. :D

·
2,077 Posts
I find it curious that you find it curious that when a person voices an opinion you assume they are starting something, but when a commercial interest gives a hard sell your curiosity seems to vanish.
"I see one person* giving reasoned points for and against synthetics, and one person trying to 'manufacture some sort of reality' here, do you know which person is which?"
Yes My postings on reed topics need no defense.
"They play right out of the
package without conditioning, shaving, sanding, soaking."
That is correct. They dont play better than a good piece of cane that has been properly cured though.
"there might be a better cane reed out there
for it. I've got better things to do"
Its not a life committing process, its simple. Can't think of anything more imortant for a saxophonist though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
Most of that last post appeared to me to be a reasonable statement of one person's opinion....... "they suck" did not, it was a provocative over-generalisation, which clearly conflicts with the experience and opinion of many competent saxophonists. :)

·
2,077 Posts
Perhaps you're right. If I said "they are quite inferior" would you have an issue? If so, instead of a thicker reed, I would recommend a thicker hide instead.

·
2,077 Posts
Perhaps you're right. If I said "they are quite inferior" would you have an issue? If so, instead of a thicker reed, I would recommend a thicker hide instead. I suspect its not the how I said it, but the what I said you object to.

·
4,023 Posts
Perhaps you're right. If I said "they are quite inferior" would you have an issue? If so, instead of a thicker reed, I would recommend a thicker hide instead.
My issue would only be that I disagree with you, as I have found the upside of synthetic reeds to exceed the downside. You are right that they don't match THE FINEST cane, but in my experience, out of 10 cane reeds, only one or two meet that standard even after working on them extensively.

I can buy a box of ten Vandorens and hunt down the two (give or take one) that are superior and figure out what to do with the other eight, and get maybe six hours of hard playing out of each one. Or, for a similar cost, I can get two Fibracell Premiums that will work straight out of the box and be just as good as the second best reed in the Vandoren box. More importantly, I'll get more like FORTY hours of hard playing out of each one. Thus I am trading a few hours of peak performance time for a much larger window of slightly lesser quality. I'm not just saving money, I'm saving a significant amount of effort and time. The way I see it, the less time I spend screwing around with my reeds, the more time I have to practice.

·
2,077 Posts
2 out of 10 sounds about right. Instead of spending hours and hours doing things to the other 8, just toss 'em and play the good ones. I never said it was cheaper, just sounds better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
752 Posts
Finally, a reasoned discussion. :D I appreciate both points of view. But mine is the right one. :shock:

Kidding, everyone. Do what works for you.

John, regards to Dagny. ;)

·
4,023 Posts
2 out of 10 sounds about right. Instead of spending hours and hours doing things to the other 8, just toss 'em and play the good ones. I never said it was cheaper, just sounds better.
How much do you think most of us are getting paid to justify that expense? This is not a practical answer for the majority of players out there.

Further, what is going to benefit a player more in the long run -- an hour spent fiddling with reeds to find two really good ones (giving 12 hours of play time in return), or buying reeds that may not be quite as good as those two but which do not require the fiddling (and give 80 hours of play time in return)?

So it goes something like this: for 80 hours of full-throttle play time, I can either:
* buy 67 cane reeds and find the 13 that are top quality -- at $21.67 per box, that's about $145 plus shipping and/or taxes, plus the hours spent sifting through them, plus the significant risk of having one go belly-up in the middle of a set (which has happened to me many times), plus having to compensate for conditions since they are affected by heat and humidity,
OR
* buy two synthetic reeds that require minimal fiddling for $32 plus shipping and/or taxes.

Even if the synthetic reeds are not exactly the same, that's a far cry from saying "they suck", and that is why some people are jumping all over your back.

Another thing I really appreciate about Fibracells is that they don't give up in the middle of a set. Even when they start to go, I have enough warning to get through the rest of the set (or the rest of the night) by merely hanging the reed over the tip of the mouthpiece a little bit. I don't have to have a backup prepared and on-hand at all times (merely having one in the case is adequate), and I never have to make the emergency reed change during an 8-bar rest, aside from sudden accidental damage. Fibracells even survive the sudden accidental damage incidents more often than not, when a cane reed would have been wrecked.

·
2,319 Posts
I have used Fibracells, Legeres and even Bari reeds on gigs since the early 90's. I play mostly blues, rock, R&B style music but also have the occasional Jazz number thrown in. I find that at louder volume gigs, competing with the drums, keyboard, guitar and bass, a Fibracell handles the job most excellently. The tone coming out to the listener, after adding reverb is no different than when I use Vandoren ZZ's or Javas. I admit I prefer the above mentioned reeds when I'm doing a quieter type setting. One thing I sometimes have issue with with regards to Fibracells is the sharper edges. A cane reed with sharper edges is easier to smooth out. Out of the three synthetic brands listed above, I prefer the Fibracells.
When I make a home recording comparing Fibracell with cane, the difference is SOMETIMES noticable, but not really that much.
The main advantages have been mentioned- longevity and cost, reliability, not being effected by the weather(as in drying out) and actually giving a nice tone for the stuff I play.
Many times fellow sax players have commented that they had no idea I was playing synthetic reeds. I have been getting paid to play sax since 1976 so I too have something to say of relevance.

·
2,077 Posts
"Further, what is going to benefit a player more in the long run -- an hour spent fiddling with reeds to find two really good ones (giving 12 hours of play time in return),"
I get far more than 12 hours from good reeds. They may be in my rotation for 6 weeks.

"or buying reeds that may not be quite as good as those two but which do not require the fiddling"
For me, fiddling in inconsequential versus proper tone production.

"Another thing I really appreciate about Fibracells is that they don't give up in the middle of a set'
Can't remember the last time my french cane did that.

"Fibracells even survive the sudden accidental damage incidents more often than not, when a cane reed would have been wrecked."
Possibly. Cant remember the last time I broke a reed though.

"I find that at louder volume gigs, competing with the drums, keyboard, guitar and bass, a Fibracell handles the job most excellently."
I let the microphone and the PA handle that, no need to overblow.

·
2,319 Posts
"I find that at louder volume gigs, competing with the drums, keyboard, guitar and bass, a Fibracell handles the job most excellently."
I let the microphone and the PA handle that, no need to overblow.
You missed my point on that statement. What I was saying is that at very high volumes with input from other loud instruments, the difference in tone is negligable between a Fibracell and a cane reed. The audience can't hear the difference, and neither can anyone else. I wasn't talking about overblowing. In the genre of R&B, blues and rock, a Fibracell does quite well. At times I've used baritone sized Bari reeds on a Dukoff D7 and get a really great, big and flexible tone- perfect for the genre. I can play soft and pretty as well as growl with the best of them. The baritone reed actually facilitates the flexibilty. I don't LIMIT myself to cane. The synthetic reed has alot to offer the performing musician.
I'm glad you like cane reeds, Mr. Galt. For you, obviously, synthetic reeds won't satisfy you. That's okay. To me, cane v.s. synthetic is not worth arguing about and offending other people. I like both, and find a use for both.
Now, go make someone happy. :)

·
2,319 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
John,

I have absolutely NO relationship with the Legere company. All of the money that's taken place between Legere and me is that of me buying their reeds. I use Legere reeds and speak highly about them simply because they work so well for me.

Every time I do a reality test and compare my favorite cane reeds to Legere I find that I still prefer Legere. Really, they sound that good on my set ups. I'm extremely picky about my sound. If I was anything less than entirely happy with the quality of sound I get with Legere reeds I would not use them.

Why is it that you have such a problem accepting the fact that there are players who get excellent results with Legere or other synthetic reeds and actually prefer them to cane?

As I said before, if you don't like synthetic reeds don't use them. It's that simple. However, it's not right to call someone a commercial shill or treat people like they are misguided because they use synthetic reeds. I've been playing a long time -- my picture shows the gray hair! I know what I'm doing.

Roger

21 - 40 of 54 Posts