Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
Yes, I know the quality.
Compared to a GOOD cane reed they suck. Learn to select, then cure good cane(a simple not life committing process that you easily incorporate into your practice routine). Only disadvantage? A tad more money (you will throw away non-vibrant reeds) ... oh yeah ... and you have to care about the very thing that facilitates your sound.

·
2,077 Posts
I like the "they had positive things to say" and "had positive feedback" . . .

So they agree with me that they are inferior.

I also like the "no need to badmouth good synthetics" . . .
The dude asked for opinions, so any opinion that does not agree with yours in "bad mouthing".

·
2,077 Posts
You dont care about reason? You dont care about commercial shills infesting this site? You dont care about everything saxophone? There's so much jive infesting this site, there isnt enough "stirring up" as far as I'm concerned.
"Play what ever you want", just dont voice an opinion, or even worse, use logic and reason to debunk the obvious shills that try to manufacture some sort of reality here? Listen to yourselves . . .

·
2,077 Posts
I find it curious that you find it curious that when a person voices an opinion you assume they are starting something, but when a commercial interest gives a hard sell your curiosity seems to vanish.
"I see one person* giving reasoned points for and against synthetics, and one person trying to 'manufacture some sort of reality' here, do you know which person is which?"
Yes My postings on reed topics need no defense.
"They play right out of the
package without conditioning, shaving, sanding, soaking."
That is correct. They dont play better than a good piece of cane that has been properly cured though.
"there might be a better cane reed out there
somewhere, but I'm not going to spend my life searching
for it. I've got better things to do"
Its not a life committing process, its simple. Can't think of anything more imortant for a saxophonist though.

·
2,077 Posts
Perhaps you're right. If I said "they are quite inferior" would you have an issue? If so, instead of a thicker reed, I would recommend a thicker hide instead.

·
2,077 Posts
Perhaps you're right. If I said "they are quite inferior" would you have an issue? If so, instead of a thicker reed, I would recommend a thicker hide instead. I suspect its not the how I said it, but the what I said you object to.

·
2,077 Posts
2 out of 10 sounds about right. Instead of spending hours and hours doing things to the other 8, just toss 'em and play the good ones. I never said it was cheaper, just sounds better.

·
2,077 Posts
"Further, what is going to benefit a player more in the long run -- an hour spent fiddling with reeds to find two really good ones (giving 12 hours of play time in return),"
I get far more than 12 hours from good reeds. They may be in my rotation for 6 weeks.

"or buying reeds that may not be quite as good as those two but which do not require the fiddling"
For me, fiddling in inconsequential versus proper tone production.

"Another thing I really appreciate about Fibracells is that they don't give up in the middle of a set'
Can't remember the last time my french cane did that.

"Fibracells even survive the sudden accidental damage incidents more often than not, when a cane reed would have been wrecked."
Possibly. Cant remember the last time I broke a reed though.

"I find that at louder volume gigs, competing with the drums, keyboard, guitar and bass, a Fibracell handles the job most excellently."
I let the microphone and the PA handle that, no need to overblow.

·
2,077 Posts
The word "suck" is a word used every day on prime time tv and across the land. I will refer to the question posed: "Does anybody know the quality of plastic reeds?"
My response "Compared to a good piece of cane, they suck".
I stand by that statement.

·
2,077 Posts
About thirty cane reeds would net me about 4 or 5 that would actually be vibrant enough to be selected for play in my rotation.

·
2,077 Posts
Yet another excellent reason to at least consider synthetic. I'm already on stage by the time you figure out which 4 or 5 might work. I used to go through that same process. It's funny but there are actually numbers and code I've written on all the cane reeds I've kept. Once I figured out how to make synthetics work for me, I felt as if a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I'm also much more secure in the knowledge that my first note of the night won't be a honker due to the reed. Now I have to blame it on the guitarist.. :)
"Preparation" solves all those problems you mentioned. I'm not selecting anything right before going on stage. All my reeds play exquisitely and for a long time, not if I played them out of the box, and no, I dont spend alot of time fussing with them. I never blame a reed, its my job as a player to be prepared. There is however, plenty that the guitarists can and should be blamed for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts