Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello group,

What do you guys think about Plas Johnson's playing?

I trust most of you may have seen the hilarious film "The Party" by Edward Blake. While Peter Sellers is really funny in the role as Hrundi Bhaksi, the cool band playing in the background is another great reason to see this film. I have the audio CD from the movie but there is little info on the band there. However, I've heard that the saxophone player in the movie is Plas Johnson? Can anyone confirm this, and if yes, is Plas the one actually appearing in the movie as the saxophone player? I really like his playing. Cool sound, great, relaxed playing.

I just bought Plas' CD "Evening Delight" on iTunes Store. It is very smooth (perhaps a little too smooth, if comparing to "The Party"). Still, excellent playing, and a great tone. Is there any other CD (LP?) with Plas playing more in the style of "The Party"?

Greetings

Bjorn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,054 Posts
I am always astounded at how deep Plas Johnson's low register is. He seriously sounds like a bari on some of the samples of evening delight! Beautiful tone. I might have to pick that album up.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, Plas actually uses the lower part of the register in a melodic way, which seems to be somehow unusual among most recent tenor players. The good old tenors, like Webster and Hawk, seemed to also favor this lower end of the register, though.

BTW, do you know any other good records by Plas? What other tenor-players would have sound similar to what Plas was doing on "The Party" /Birdie Num Num?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,260 Posts
Plas Johnson blew the tenor on the Original Pink Panther theme and for all the Pink Panther cartoons. Almost every Mancini recording with a Tenor Sax Solo is Plas Johnson.

Great Tenor. Very under rated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts