Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I upgraded to a Powell head last year and like it, and now I'm interested in trying a Haynes head. There will be a Flute fair in Seattle next weekend, and there will be several exhibitors there including the Flute Center of New York. I looked at the FCNY site and they have several Haynes headjoints listed here: https://www.flutes4sale.com/collections/all-headjoints?_=pf&pf_v_brand=Haynes.

My budget would be $1200 max, so based on that there are 6 heads to choose from. I'm planning to ask them to bring 2 or 3 heads but don't really know which ones to pick. My current Powell head is probably from the 60's or 70's. I'm thinking the #SH4 - silver, heavy wall might be worth trying as it might have a darker sound, then maybe a modern head. The $600 one looks tempting as it might play just as well as the others.

Is anyone familiar with any of the models listed there?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For now I'm for the most part limiting myself to the Haynes as Powell and Haynes are known as being popular at least in the past with Jazz musicians. I am happy with my Powell and was curious to see how a Haynes compared with it.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
How they perform will depend on the age. I think they have changed quite a lot over the years.
The Haynes I learnt on had quite a thin, weak sound, although beautiful and very even through the registers. I don't think it would be suitable for a modern orchestra. Maybe chamber music.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
I upgraded to a Powell head last year and like it, and now I'm interested in trying a Haynes head. There will be a Flute fair in Seattle next weekend, and there will be several exhibitors there including the Flute Center of New York. I looked at the FCNY site and they have several Haynes headjoints listed here: https://www.flutes4sale.com/collections/all-headjoints?_=pf&pf_v_brand=Haynes.

My budget would be $1200 max, so based on that there are 6 heads to choose from. I'm planning to ask them to bring 2 or 3 heads but don't really know which ones to pick. My current Powell head is probably from the 60's or 70's. I'm thinking the #SH4 - silver, heavy wall might be worth trying as it might have a darker sound, then maybe a modern head. The $600 one looks tempting as it might play just as well as the others.

Is anyone familiar with any of the models listed there?
They can’t bring 6 head joints? It’s not like they’re dragging six baris on a plane.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts