Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to perform with my friends from a group called Drinking With Clowns this past weekend at a place called Plan B Microlounge. Just thought Id share my experience with you guys.

Well, first off, my over all experience was a great one. It is a pretty small venue, but despite it being a small box, the sound really is great in there. The lounge is really interesting because its located in a building shared by some bars and a restaurant. The best way I can describe it is that all the places are connected, but not connected. lol. Anyways, thats getting a little off on a tangent.

DWC is normally a 4 piece ensemble, but with me made 5. I just joined their ranks last week. They're a Latin/Reggae/Funk/Rock band who sings and jams. Theres a Guitarist, Bass, Drums, and a Percussionist, and I was playing alto sax, tenor sax, flute and keyboards. So we were kind of a big group considering the size of the place, however, like I said, although we had to do our own sound, the sound was great and the people were equally great and were very fun to play for. Plan B would be a great place especially for jazz groups and the likes. Not sure how it would be for rock, but jazz, latin, reggae, and other mellow music groups would be perfect. Im sure funk would also do well at this venue, so I guess this place would be suitable for just about any kind of music. There also seem to be quite a few music enthusiasts, young and old, in Carson who like to see live music no matter what style you play. If its good music, youll get a good crowd.

The manager and the workers of the place also treats the musicians very well. They're really easy to get to know and very helpful. So if you guys are ever in Carson City and looking for a place to gig, Plan B Microlounge would be a great place to perform. It was definitely a great all around experience for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Do you have the booking information?
Just google plan b microlounge. Their website is not really up yet but a telephone number is listed. Scott the owner is a cool guy and brings in some interesting bands. There is always live music on the weekends, and a jazz jam on wednesday nights which i have attented on several occasions.

I don't think booking a gig here would be worth a trip all the way from Oklahoma for a $100 gig Modman but it's a cool little venue. My buddy Brian Landrus just played there last month. It was great to see him and watch him perform. The place is so small, he didn't even use a microphone. Also if you are wanting to perform in front of a large crowd, this isn't the place. I've seen bands with more performers than audience members.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts
I will be coming through on my way to Utah with a David Bowie tribute band soon and wouldn't mind the extra moola.

B

·
2,063 Posts
I will be coming through on my way to Utah with a David Bowie tribute band soon and wouldn't mind the extra moola.

B
You still have 500 miles west to travel once you reach Utah, an extra 1000 miles for 100 bucks is no moola. Plan b is a great local joint, but there is great local talent just making sheckles, really.

Here is some local talent at plan b. Rocky on tenor, great guy and heck of a player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mTt9kpostk

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think booking a gig here would be worth a trip all the way from Oklahoma for a $100 gig Modman but it's a cool little venue.
This is a good point that probably would have been good to bring up as well. We didnt get paid for the gig, but if youre like me, we play because we love to play. Money isnt an issue for us if the venue is cool, and such is the case with Plan B. Its a lounge area more than anything, so there are rows of couches that take up majority of the space right in front of the band. Not much dancing room, but if the music gets people dancing, they find a way around the obstacles. :)

I would play at Plan B time and time again...even if I didnt get paid for any of my gigs there. Would be a pretty cool place to play at if youre planning a tour through Carson, but honestly, thats the only venue Ive played at in Carson, and Im sure there are bigger venues in Carson that could bring you more money if thats what tickles your pickle.

·
2,063 Posts
This is a good point that probably would have been good to bring up as well. We didnt get paid for the gig, but if youre like me, we play because we love to play. Money isnt an issue for us if the venue is cool, and such is the case with Plan B. Its a lounge area more than anything, so there are rows of couches that take up majority of the space right in front of the band. Not much dancing room, but if the music gets people dancing, they find a way around the obstacles. :)

I would play at Plan B time and time again...even if I didnt get paid for any of my gigs there. Would be a pretty cool place to play at if youre planning a tour through Carson, but honestly, thats the only venue Ive played at in Carson, and Im sure there are bigger venues in Carson that could bring you more money if thats what tickles your pickle.
I knew Scott was cheap, but I didn't think he was a crook. Don't play gigs there for free, you are contributing to the demise of the pros who really deserve some compensation. I think you would get tired of driving 30 miles, setting up and playing for nothing. Of course we all love to play, but the band has to make some of the money too. Go to the jam sessions for no pay, but a gig? Come on man!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I knew Scott was cheap, but I didn't think he was a crook. Don't play gigs there for free, you are contributing to the demise of the pros who really deserve some compensation. I think you would get tired of driving 30 miles, setting up and playing for nothing. Of course we all love to play, but the band has to make some of the money too. Go to the jam sessions for no pay, but a gig? Come on man!

This definitely seems to be the debate of the century in Reno...or even Nevada for that matter. Ive heard this debate on the Reno Craigslist, and I totally hear ya. I completely agree with you too, but as fate would have it, I really didnt have a say in the matter because I was the new guy in the band and this gig was booked before I joined them. But trust me, I completely agree with you 100% that musicians should get some kind of compensation other than food and booze. I do love to play though, and thats just me. I try to play with whom ever will let me play with them. Ive gone to a few jam sessions to sit in, but for me, I find more gratification in playing with a gigging band to sweat out all my frustration of the day in 3 hours. So I guess, Im a "middle of the fence" kinda guy who just wants to play and stretch my creativity in an environment other than a practice room. :D

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts
Same thing is happening all over the world. There is no where I have traveled that you will not find a "jam" which in my mind means a club owner is getting talent for nothing.

I refuse to play for free unless it is with a high level band on my time and they perform at least some of my originals.

I never go to open jams. You wait for 2 hours to play and 8 bar solo, what a load.

This is why my bands and myself play restaurants and private parties.

My pickle is tickled by monetary compensation.

B

·
2,063 Posts
Same thing is happening all over the world. There is no where I have traveled that you will not find a "jam" which in my mind means a club owner is getting talent for nothing.

I refuse to play for free unless it is with a high level band on my time and they perform at least some of my originals.

I never go to open jams. You wait for 2 hours to play and 8 bar solo, what a load.

This is why my bands and myself play restaurants and private parties.

My pickle is tickled by monetary compensation.

B
I like the open jams in our area, there are very few musicians with the balls to get up and improvise which means quite a bit of playing time for me:) I've had a great time at plan b in that respect.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Hawaiian Sax Man, did you see the ad for this gig? Kind of right in line with what we are talking about.

http://reno.craigslist.org/muc/2413084125.html

I love the response it received. Funny stuff.

http://reno.craigslist.org/muc/2413218185.html

It's pretty sad, really.
HAHAHA! I just saw that ad the other day and I honestly thought of this thread and laughed. I mean, I think its funny how they disguise their info by saying "Compensation is $100 IN Qdoba food". Man, who do they think they're foolin?! Besides, isnt Qdoba a fast food-ish kinda place? Must be a GREAT gig! haha. You know, my band was asked to play at a pizza place in South Reno. It was pretty funny because we were a fairly new band at the time. Probably only a year old and not too much gig experience, but we were asked to play at this pizza joint and lemme tell you...it was the first and last time we ever played that kind of gig. We got paid decently and got free pizza and drinks, but man...you know its a bad place to gig at when you got little kids runnin all over the place and trying to use the candy crane machine right behind you. Definitely an experience that taught us a valuable lesson of self worth and discovery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts