Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in northern mi and I’m looking for a good tech who isn’t part of a big corporation only interested in selling student horns to schools (Marshall music). I can’t seem to find any. I also want to try out some mouthpieces for jazz and everywhere I’ve called doesn’t have any for me to try?? Any help would be appreciated as I can’t decide on a mouthpiece just in reviews feedback alone...

thanks!

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,027 Posts
I'm not aware of any decent shops up there. If you can get down to the Detroit area I suggest (in this order) the Detroit Saxophone Shop in Eastpointe, Cameron's Music in Livonia, or Meridian Winds in Okemos.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,027 Posts
DSS has used and new. Cameron's and Meridian both have some new, not sure about used. Call 'em all up, tell 'em what your sound concept is and ask what they have in stock.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I live in northern mi and I’m looking for a good tech who isn’t part of a big corporation only interested in selling student horns to schools (Marshall music). I can’t seem to find any. I also want to try out some mouthpieces for jazz and everywhere I’ve called doesn’t have any for me to try?? Any help would be appreciated as I can’t decide on a mouthpiece just in reviews feedback alone...

thanks!
Where in MI are you? My dad's family grew up in Alpena.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have used Cameron’s in Livonia. Was there about a month ago. They have several used saxes on display. Alto and tenor. Owner is Ken. He has overhauled my Conn Shooting Star tenor. I thought he did pretty good work; as the improvement in the playability of the horn was massive. No complaints.....however, if you go to his shop, you will see that he is an independent, but still has a lot for the student market.

About a 8 months ago Ken had several Jazz mouthpieces in stock. Otto Links, Meyers, and Vandorens.....not a ton, but I think it was 5 or 6. Might be worth a phone call. That’s where I picked up my Vandoren T75.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Rick Pioch at Detroit Sax always has quite a few used/vintage mouthpieces around. Also usually a few new ones.
Ken Cameron in Livonia always has quite a few new pieces in stock. Typically the popular stuff... always a few Vandorens and some Link, Meyer... maybe some Selmer, Jody, etc. A few used pieces are usually there as well.
Eric Satterlee at Meridian Winds is I think quite similar to Cameron's... Quite a few new, popular garden-variety pieces, but also some quantity of used things.
It's kind of luck of the draw what exactly is in stock with any of these guys at any given time, so call ahead. NYC it ain't.
They all are well-established repair techs; Rick and Ken on their own and I know there are more than one tech on staff at Meridian... I don't know if Eric does any tech work but the guys seem to know their stuff.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Another option would be to order mouthpieces from a site with a return policy, like WWBW. Then if you don't like it you just send it back, and maybe pay a $5 fee.

·
Registered
397 Posts

thanks!
Oh - I forgot to note. Your opinion of Marshall Music is spot on. If there was a chain that epitomized, “You need a brand new rent-to-own instrument if you are going to be a legit student,” they would be the ones. They once quoted me $2,200 for a 5 year old used trombone that could be purchased brand new for $1,800. In addition, that small shank used trombone came with a large shank mouthpiece....The guy working at the counter didn’t understand the problem. We don’t go there anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts