Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha 23, and by mistake I grabbed my tenor mouthpiece (it had been a long day. ha ha). The sound was GREAT!! Now, I'm wondering how I can get that same deep jazzy sound in an alto mouthpiece. I can't even find a brand on the tenor mouthpiece. It's from my old 1970's Yamaha 61. The sound of that mouthpiece is amazing compared to the Yamaha 4C that's on my 23...and it's even easier to play. Much smoother. I was using a size 2 reed. Any ideas what could give me that deep mellow sound almost like a bright tenor rather than an alto? Thanks!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Well, you could use that 'kismet... lips met' tenor piece and try to find a sweet tuning spot!? But since you've had a glimpse of an avenue now, Check it out! Try everything you can get your hands on, don't analyze it, just try as many pieces as you can.

·
Forum Contributor 2014, Distinguished SOTW Member
2,087 Posts
Any ideas what could give me that deep mellow sound almost like a bright tenor rather than an alto? Thanks!!
Lots of practice? :) On a more serious note there a few name players who have good success with a tenor piece on an alto horn. The biggest hurdle is intonation. If you blow that tenor piece on your alto against a tuner and it works out? Keep blowing it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,285 Posts
Since you are going from an alto 4C, about anything will give you a fatter sound. The 4C is fine for beginning but I suspect you have outgrown it. I like the Selmer Super Session or a Meyer 6M. Also some like the Rico mouthpieces which are scary cheap, under $20. Be sure to try different facings. You are going from a really closed mouthpiece so don't go nutz and stay under .075". Remember that there are many chambers on mouthpieces too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,539 Posts
Like others my guess is that you are going to have strange intonation issues at one end of the horn or another (likely both). There are a lot of good pieces that can give you a rich tone. You are currently using a decent student piece that is middle of the road but a little on the bright side. Larger chambered pieces and pieces setup to voice differently will give you what you need without the hassle of trying to make a tenor piece work.

On the other hand...if you want to play bright tenor then play your tenor. Accept that alto has a different voice. It can also be dark but its not a tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,581 Posts
When playing 'for fun' at home I put a C Melody mouthpiece on my alto.
LOVE the sound, but.... It can be 'pitchy'.
I'm a clarinetist and it's like calesthenics for my chops. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
I tend to agree with jicaino....play a tenor....also agree with bakkiemetkoekie (where do people find these names?) when he says that anything sounds better than a Yam 4c.
I have used a tenor piece on my alto for the reason you seek....however, as has been stated, there are intonation issues.
Why not try a tenor reed on your alto piece (preferably anything other than the 4c) for starters?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have a Yamaha 23, and by mistake I grabbed my tenor mouthpiece (it had been a long day. ha ha). The sound was GREAT!! Now, I'm wondering how I can get that same deep jazzy sound in an alto mouthpiece. I can't even find a brand on the tenor mouthpiece. It's from my old 1970's Yamaha 61. The sound of that mouthpiece is amazing compared to the Yamaha 4C that's on my 23...and it's even easier to play. Much smoother. I was using a size 2 reed. Any ideas what could give me that deep mellow sound almost like a bright tenor rather than an alto? Thanks!!
The 4C is a good beginner mouthpiece. But if you want a better sound, get a Vandoren Optimum AL3 or a Selmer S80 C*. Also, harder reeds will help A LOT to get a bigger sound. Go up to a 2.5 or 3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts