Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster! Been self learning sax for some five months now as a "late bloomer" and having a lot of fun. I do intend to get lessons in Sept. when I have time. In the meantime ...
I bought a secondhand Jupiter Alto 500, upgraded to a Selmer S80 C* mouthpiece a few weeks ago and decided to try some different reeds. Up to now I have been using Rico Royal, started at 1.5 and now at 2.5. I got a La voz med soft and a Rico Select Jazz 2M from the local store.
Tried out the Select Jazz first and was blown away by the sound! It was hard to believe it was the same sax. Very warm tone. I later tried the La Voz and it was more like "meh" ! it was OK. Back to the Select Jazz for me and also dumping the Rico Royal.
Playing away another day and again very blown away by the Select Jazz, great tone and volume out of it when I noticed, while putting it away, that in-fact was the La Voz I was playing! Wow. I take it all back.
And today, again I was playing away thinking this Select Jazz reed is the dogs when packing up I notice that actually I was playing the original Rico Royal, the one I figured really had no great tone at all!
OK, so I do need to get my glasses prescription checked, but in essence my point is ... well actually I'm not sure what my point is !!
I was playing one reed thinking it was great while in fact it was a reed which I would not have rated.
The Placebo effect ??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,707 Posts
First off reeds change, usually for the better, after they have soaked, dried, and then played briefly a couple of times. At least they do for me.

Also every reed in the box will be different. You will need to learn how to work on reeds to save the dogs.

Its really a matter of taste. Personally I like Lavoz on alto but I despise them on tenor.

prep a few and play them. Pick one and go with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Sigmund451, I'm getting to like the Lavoz more and more so I may get a box of them and see how I get on.
Cheers.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,010 Posts
I agree with what sigmund said, and following up on that, you really have to play through at least a couple of boxes of a given reed brand before you know the overall tendencies of that brand. The way one or two reeds play will tell you very little, because there is too much variation even among the same brand and size reed. I would suggest you pick one brand you think is ok and stick with it for a while. Then in the future maybe try another for comparison.

More importantly, at this stage, as a beginner, it's best to find a size and brand reed that works ok for you and concentrate on learning the instrument, working on your sound, etc. If you start switching around between several different brands of reeds (or mpcs), you'll only mess yourself up and waste a lot of time better spent practicing. Wait a couple of years until you develop a decent sound and some technique before doing too much experimenting with equipment. And even then, don't get carried away. You tend to adjust to whatever you're using, provided it is of reasonable quality.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply JL,
I'm going to pick one of the reeds that I have and stick with that and get on with it as you say. I do think the mouthpiece upgrade from the stock one was worth it, high and low notes are much easier to get and it's a far better tone.
But your correct I now need to get on with the fun task of learning to play it properly!
Cheers all for the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts