Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got three missing pivot screws. I was happy to see that they were in my 3-year-old Ferree's Catalog, but sad to find that Ferree's doesn't stock them anymore. Is there a reasonable substitute? On my 1923 True Tone alto there are two types--one with a longer shaft than the other.

I ordered some Buffet pivots because that's basically all that Ferree's had in stock, but I'd love to get something that doesn't have to be modified.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I don't remember a True Tone having any pivot screws. I thought they used all rods. And if that is the case, buy the needed sizes of rod stock and tap the threads on the ends as needed.

But I'm just a do-it-yourselfer. Let the real techs chime in.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,804 Posts
True Tones used pivot screws on only a few keys: side E, side C lever, low C#, the body octave lever. Everything else is a rod.

Buescher pivot screws are interchangeable with Bundy pivot screws, which all have the shorter pin (shaft) on the end. If you need to use a short-pin screw where a longer-pin screw one was originally used, you might need to countersink the post a bit to accommodate this. As a test, I swapped out a long one for a short one on the TT I have here and there was no play in the key, even with the shorter pin. The longer pin didn't fit in the key that originally used the short pin, but that screw could be easily shortened if needed.

Remember that a lot of the Bundy saxes were made at the old Buescher plant using much of the same tooling and parts.

3-48 thread if you are going to make them yourself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True Tones used pivot screws on only a few keys: side E, side C lever, low C#, the body octave lever. Everything else is a rod.

Buescher pivot screws are interchangeable with Bundy pivot screws, which all have the shorter pin (shaft) on the end.

Remember that a lot of the Bundy saxes were made at the old Buescher plant using much of the same tooling and parts.
Yep. That's there in the Ferree's catalog, and they stock neither the Buescher nor the Bundy pivot screws.

3-48 thread if you are going to make them yourself.
I guess that's what it's going to have to be. I'll check with instrument clinic and musicmedic, or even Votaw. Sometimes they have oddball parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, anyone know where to find these in 2021? I'm overhauling a '22 Buescher True Tone DIY style, and one screw was missing. I found a seller on ebay that sells them here, but I'm not sure if these are the same screws. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts