Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had Ed Pillinger reproduce a mouthpiece for them? I saw on his website that he does mouthpiece reproductions. I'm curious about this because I can no longer play metal mouthpieces (I get a bad reaction to them) and I have one that I really love. So I'm thinking about getting this mouthpiece reproduced in hr or resin. I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried this.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Ed is a great mouthpiece guy based just outside london. His work is pretty much on par with the top American guys. Another choice would be to talk to Zagar about his pieces...he's done a lot of work on producing hypoallergenic metal pieces.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
selmer said:
Ed is a great mouthpiece guy based just outside london. His work is pretty much on par with the top American guys. Another choice would be to talk to Zagar about his pieces...he's done a lot of work on producing hypoallergenic metal pieces.

That's interesting about Zagar. And I am aware of Pillinger's reputation. The thing is is that I really like the piece I have. So its the reproduction that I'm interested in.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Surely getting a HR version of a metal piece would be a different piece. Leaving aside the difference (or not) of materials wouldn't the profile of the piece be different (ie thicker walls).

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
docformat said:
Surely getting a HR version of a metal piece would be a different piece.
I've heard both opinions on this. A lot of people say that as long as the inner dimensions are the same, the piece should play the same. I'm not sure if any manufacturer makes the same exact piece in different materials for us to know.

Saying that, doesn't Lamberson make his pieces in different materials? Anybody ever compare the different pieces?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MojoBari said:
Do you get a reaction to gold plating? I have never heard of this.
I don't know what it is that i am getting the reaction from. When I first got the piece it was bare brass. After playing it for a month or so I go a pretty big reaction. I then got the piece gold plated and was able to use it for a couple of years just fine. The gold plating then started to rub off and i got a couple of minor reactions. I left the piece alone for a few years and then recently had the piece replated again. After about 4-5 hrs of playing my mouth started going numb. As I say, I don't know what I get the reaction from. I just get it from pieces made of brass. I am able to play stainless steel just fine.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a Lost Wax piece from Bob Ackerman, it trumps any HR Meyer I have every played. Fit and Finish is perfect.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,056 Posts
I've got quite a few Pillinger mouthpieces and have spoken extensively to Ed on the phone. Being an engineer, I was interested in his manufacturing techniques and how he applies his facings. I think that he told me a bit more than he was comfortable with and I won't pass it on exactly. I believe he doesn't use a lost wax process, but has some flexible product that can make a pretty accurate 3D pattern of the inside of a mouthpiece.

One of the Pillinger pieces I have is a repro of a Link HR. On the outside you can see and feel the copy of the original markings on the Link (the logo and the chain). They are faint but recognisable.

I think that making a resin copy of a metal mouthpiece would probably require thicker walls and a larger external shape, so the piece would feel different in the mouth. It would probably also sound a little different because of the effects of this on jaw position etc.

On the Pillinger bronzite pieces there is some bronze powder added to the resin. My bronzite pieces are gradually turing green (verdigris), and I wonder what effect that could have on someone who reacts badly to brass or metal pieces.

I am also interested in getting Ed to copy one of my metal tenor pieces that I really like. Let us know what happens.

Rhys

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I had a piece,a Selmer Soloist copied a few years ago. The copies were smaller. Ed told me this happens so unless the process has changed. I think it's very difficult to copy any piece exactly as even pieces in the same lay by the same maker are different and when you add different materials to the mix in my view it's a pipe dream.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I've tried one of his Selmer soprano copies, didn't work as well as an original selmer for me.
I've tried his CHU model in bronzite. Good piece but not for me.
I've tried the HR pieces that he did in collaboration with Theo, they worked well with more push but did not really respond well at the low volumes I often play at.
I tried one of his NYT HR tenor pieces and it became my main, in fact my sole tenor piece almost a year ago, what a gem.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I assumed it was HR, looking at it I can't say for certain, its not like good ole sulpher stinky HR but is not obviously resin to my eyes. What does his website say about them, does anyone know?

·
Registered
770 Posts
He calls it special hard rubber (SHR).

I have for some years played his NYT pieces and like them very much. I have two mpcs: a "special hard rubber" NYT ("New York Tenor") in TNY 285 facing, tip opening .112 (8++), and a bronzite one in 275 facing (.108 or 7**).
Both are very good, the facings are excellent, like custom made for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
I have owned a couple of Pillinger's pieces a sop and a tenor. I have also been to his shop and tried pieces there. Overall his pieces are beautifully made but they really have a very generic sound much like the Yanagasawa pieces....a lot of looks but no substance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts