Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. What do you think about the Pillinger mpc for baritone sax?

I play with a Berg Larsen and OL (both metal), but I am looking another sound for jazz (more vintage, dark), and I think on a Pillinger mpc, and also Vandoren V16. What dou you think?

Thanks

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,529 Posts

I play with a Berg Larsen and OL (both metal), but I am looking another sound for jazz (more vintage, dark), and I think on a Pillinger mpc, and also Vandoren V16. What dou you think?
I don't think you can go wrong with a Pillinger. I am biased though.

The best thing is to ring him and discuss your needs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts

Thanks
Doc Pillinger makes superb mouthpieces.
I once asked him to make one for me, to specific requirements. He made, & sent me, two....."Choose the one you prefer & please return the other".
Excellent workmanship & wonderful service.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Super bloke. Very, very knowledgeable. Great mouthpieces. You must at least have a chat with him on the phone, because he can suggest what facings and lays would work for who you are and what you're playing - and make a suggestion. Better still, if it doesn't work for you - send it back and he'll make one for you that does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Super bloke. Very, very knowledgeable. Great mouthpieces. You must at least have a chat with him on the phone, because he can suggest what facings and lays would work for who you are and what you're playing - and make a suggestion. Better still, if it doesn't work for you - send it back and he'll make one for you that does.
I agree. I had tried about 10 mouthpieces on a 1967 Martin baritone and they all played sharp in the alto register. I got a MartinMods mouthpiece, which does play in tune, but I prefer the Pillinger 'P' model in bronzite. It has a super rich tone, quite bright (suits my needs - I play in a street band), and it takes an alto ligature. Most bari mouthpieces I find too physically big in the mouth, making them uncomfortable to play, but not the Pillinger. Ed sent me several others to try out on sale or return, but it was the 'P' (which he initially recommended) that I have kept.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts