Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked through the forum and didn’t find a single thread about these, so here it is.

Just tried them today. QC is excellent : 10 of 10 came with glass-flat table. Feel and sound great.
$40.5 for a box of 10 - that’s a great value.
The guys need to set up an Instagram account for these, so that more kids learn about these, because myself, I never knew about them and recently noticed someone mention them in a different thread.
Product Rectangle Font Material property Wood

· Registered
2,856 Posts
I have purchased these (never played them myself) for a young local player for whom I have purchased just about every reed known to exist. She wasn't overly fussed about them. Man have you tried Steuer reeds? The Steuer are harder - eg: get them a half strengh softer to your regular reeds, expect a protracted break-in period but with longevity. A few years ago, when here in Australia we didn't have access to as many reeds as we do now, I sourced the Pilgerstorfer and Steuer from reeds direct in the UK...

The only reeds we've had that reeds direct don't have is the South African Sirari reeds.

EDIT

sirari woodwinds - hmm, Argentina? Anyway I can no longer find any on-line referrences to Sirari excapt Instagram and Reverb below...

· Just a guy who plays saxophone.
5,624 Posts
I saw that other thread too. I see you ordered a 3…what brand and strength do you usually play, and is the Pilgerstorfer 3 comparable? I appreciate the quality finishing points you mention, but so far has that translated into consistency in playability across several/ the whole box? The paper sleeve packaging is great! Thanks for your information.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,529 Posts
I’ve tried these on soprano and they are certainly decent reeds. They are consistent and, with a little bit of working, they played pretty well. They are similar to Rigotti in strength. If you’ve trade AW reeds, They are very close to those. I tried 3 1/2 and fours and found them to be what I expected. I only tried 3 1/2’s on tenor, they were a little softer than a Rigotti 3 1/2 medium. The cane was really good quality, which sometimes isn’t the case. It was well cured, aged, and cut correctly.
I got them from Thomann music in Germany and they were priced reasonably.

· Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
3,474 Posts
I looked through the forum and didn’t find a single thread about these, so here it is.

Just tried them today. QC is excellent : 10 of 10 came with glass-flat table. Feel and sound great.
Before or after soaking (or both)? I often find that reeds that have flat tables before soaking go slightly concave or convex (laterally) after a brief soak. In my experience, all reed tables warp over time, and I always scrape my reed tables before playing anyway, so perfect flatness isn't necessarily that important to me.

In terms of price, these are about the same price that Blue Box Rigottis go for here in the US.

· Registered
2,856 Posts
I’ve not tried them on sax but they make beautiful clarinet reeds.
Australia is pretty much a daddario/vandoren story sadly
yes it used to be but -

Solar Music NSW have Alexanders and Roberto's Winds reeds

OzWinds have Boston Sax Shop reeds

Leisure Coast Woodwind & Brass (Woolongong) have Marca, Rigotti, Steuer reeds

The Music Place, South Melbourne have Gonzales

· Distinguished SOTW Member
3,437 Posts
yes it used to be but -

Solar Music NSW have Alexanders and Roberto's Winds reeds

OzWinds have Boston Sax Shop reeds

Leisure Coast Woodwind & Brass (Woolongong) have Marca, Rigotti, Steuer reeds

The Music Place, South Melbourne have Gonzales
I would only bother Rigotti out of all of them. None of those reeds compete with the mainstream for me. BSS came close but aren’t there.
so still Vando/daddario.
Clark Fobes sells good Clar reeds though

· Registered
2,856 Posts
I would only bother Rigotti out of all of them. None of those reeds compete with the mainstream for me. BSS came close but aren’t there.
so still Vando/daddario.
Clark Fobes sells good Clar reeds though
I assume you're aware Rigotti make Boston Sax Shop & Roberto's Winds reeds - oh and those by Francios Louis.

The BSS reeds are a Rigotti Classical Cut - Jazz Cut Hybrid. Won't hurt you to try Roberto's. Last time I called Solar they had an open box so I ordered what I wanted.

Peter at LCWB lets me know when he is about to place an order with Rigotti and orders for me things he doesn't usually stock.

· Registered
348 Posts

The guys need to set up an Instagram account for these, so that more kids learn about these, because myself, I never knew about them and recently noticed someone mention them in a different thread.
View attachment 122724
Shhh… first come the influencers, then add “custom” to the box and jack the price 50%.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
3,437 Posts
I assume you're aware Rigotti make Boston Sax Shop & Roberto's Winds reeds - oh and those by Francios Louis.

The BSS reeds are a Rigotti Classical Cut - Jazz Cut Hybrid. Won't hurt you to try Roberto's. Last time I called Solar they had an open box so I ordered what I wanted.

Peter at LCWB lets me know when he is about to place an order with Rigotti and orders for me things he doesn't usually stock.
Yes, I’m aware

· Registered
149 Posts
If you’ve trade AW reeds, They are very close to those.
The one box of AW Jazz’s I tired we’re way too soft for me to draw any conclusions from (I’m a fan of the paper sleeves though!).

Reeds direct suggest the Pilgerstorfer’s could have “real potential for those players who like the V12”, describing them “a longer profile and more cane left in the cut gives, for most rewarding resistance”

I’ve no experience of the V12’s on saxophone, but they’re described as having “a thicker heel and tip than the Traditional blue box. The longer palette also gives a richer, deeper sound and the thicker tip gives body to the attack and also increases the longevity of the reed”.

So they do sound similar, on paper at least! Any thoughts on how any of these compare to each other, or to BSS for example?

· Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I just played through a couple of others from the box. I can tell the strength is consistent. No such things like having a “3“ printed on the back but feeling like a 2 or 2,5 which is usually the case with Orange Rico’s that I played before.

In my opinion, P. runs a bit harder than the Rico, but the good thing for me is that they break in very slowly. For example, very often I pull out a new Rico 3 and really like it a lot, so I play it for 30 minutes and put back in my container. The next day, the reed is f*cked, feels like it’s lost its strength by 1 or so - dead and shrill, not sure why. I played the Pilgerstorfer yesterday for 40 minutes, put it back, and today it feels pretty much the same as yesterday.

I did pay $30 or so for the shipping, and I definitely don’t regret that. If you order 10 boxes, the $30 shipping cost would feel more reasonable.

Here‘s a recording that I’ve done on one of those. Right out of the box. Florida Link 0.117

https://soundcloud.com/kirill-poudavoff%2Fpilgerstorfer1
Now when I’m listening back to it and to my other recordings on a Rico 3, I feel like the Pilgerstorfer has got more projection. I have a Florida 0.110 that usually lacks projection on Rico, so it might be a great fit for it, gotta test. *update: Yes, P compensates for the lack of projection perfectly.

· Registered
2,856 Posts
Kirill - you're a killer - awesome tune (see above).

Some love Selmer and some Hate anything French. IMHO - all reeds are worthy of your time - yeah they're (reeds) expensive but they're way less expensive than mouthpeices when you're tryin' to dial in your sound. Just do it - get a bunch of mates and collectively buy a bunch of reeds you ain't ever tried before and try a few each. You can't teach experience - this you must learn by experience yourself - a lifes lesson can change your existence.

· Premium Member
Vintage Yamaha Tenor and Alto
24 Posts
KPoudavoff,帖子:4397434,成員:131954 said:
我瀏覽了論壇並沒有找到關於這些的一個線程,所以在這裡。

今天剛試過。質量控制非常好:10 個中有 10 個帶有玻璃平板桌。感覺和聲音都很棒。
一盒 10 個 40.5 美元 - 物超所值。
這些傢伙需要為這些建立一個 Instagram 帳戶,以便更多的孩子了解這些,因為我自己,我從來不知道它們,最近注意到有人在不同的線程中提到它們。
View attachment 122724
[/引用]

View attachment 122724
If I play 2.5 BSS reed, should I stay at the same strength or up to 3 for Pilgerstorfer? Thank you!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts