Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where there are/have any pictures of the unlacquered 82z's in the wild. I'm only curious because I want to grab one of the tenors, and wonder how they end up looking.

I have had no luck finding anything through searching google, here, other sax sites, yamaha's site, etc.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
I don't have pictures, but I owned a YTS82Z unlacquered for about six months. It looked like crap when I sold it. I've seen a couple others since. They look like crap, too.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dig the looks like crap look. sjonesjrmd, I really like the way that tenor looks, that was pretty much what I was looking for, many thanks. I think that about does it for me. Now if I can just get ahold of the one without the high f#.

Any other pics are welcome though. I love looking at these things.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
I didn't sell mine because it looked like crap, though. I sold it because it couldn't be played in tune, new neck notwithstanding. If you find the 82Z of your dreams, be sure to playtest it with a meter before buying.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Al Stevens said:
I didn't sell mine because it looked like crap, though. I sold it because it couldn't be played in tune, new neck notwithstanding. If you find the 82Z of your dreams, be sure to playtest it with a meter before buying.
Wow that's really surprising. One of the advantages of going with an 82z, Custom, or even a 62 Yamaha is the dead on scale of the horn. I'd bet your problem was in a bad neck but you never know. To this point though I've met quite a few players that preach how good the 82z plays in tune.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
playitfunky said:
I'd bet your problem was in a bad neck but you never know.
I am sure it had something to do with the neck. But it wasn't just that neck. Selmer [oops, Yamaha] sent me a new neck to try and it had the same problem. Then I put the neck on from a Yamaha student model tenor, and it played in tune. I'd have simply swapped it, but the tone with the student neck was too harsh.

Whatever, it doesn't matter now. I sold it and got a vi, which is what I should have done in the first place.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Al Stevens said:
I am sure it had something to do with the neck. But it wasn't just that neck. Selmer sent me a new neck to try and it had the same problem. Then I put the neck on from a Yamaha student model tenor, and it played in tune. I'd have simply swapped it, but the tone with the student neck was too harsh.

Whatever, it doesn't matter now. I sold it and got a vi, which is what I should have done in the first place.
Maybe you should have gone to yamaha to get a new neck??? Or was that just a typo? Because the 82z that I have plays really well in tune, and is a 35x,xxx. Not sure if that is after the neck repairs were made, but the manufacture date is about a year and a half ago. Either way, the 82z's that i played all played in tune, and those were two of each of the stock finishes, and two of each of the shotblast finishes. Got a shotblast, but only because it played, and felt, the best to me.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
"But it wasn't just that neck. Selmer sent me a new neck to try and it had the same problem."

Uh, putting a selmer neck on a Yamaha horn would obviously not fix any intonation issues. They are two VERY different horns in design, with the Selmer neck designed around a Selmer body, and a Yamaha Horn designed around a Yamaha neck.

Either way, it sounds like youre happy with the VI, and thats great!

Steve P

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Steve P said:
"But it wasn't just that neck. Selmer sent me a new neck to try and it had the same problem."

Uh, putting a selmer neck on a Yamaha horn would obviously not fix any intonation issues. They are two VERY different horns in design, with the Selmer neck designed around a Selmer body, and a Yamaha Horn designed around a Yamaha neck.

Either way, it sounds like youre happy with the VI, and thats great!

Steve P
Senior moment, I guess. I just edited it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts