Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear all,

I have a nice collection of mainly vintage Link's (and some other pieces) and just uploaded some pictures to Microsoft Onedrive (one folder per mouthpiece or horn). Most pictures are not made by me, but by previous owners (I hope they don't mind :)). I have more mouthpieces then listed, but no pictures of them all yet. So it's a work in progress. Also added some albums with horns I own or could play test for a while.

Here is the link to my mouthpiece and horn picture folders: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnftxJXPnxvbikba2d9Tl5qSxbir

Enjoy :).

- Otto Link mouthpieces:

- 1930 - 1935:
Otto Link - Master Link 4 to 6 (unknown refacer)
Otto Link - Master Link 5 to 9 (Mark Spencer reface)

- 1935 - 1940:
Otto Link - Four 4* to 8* (FG/MOJO reface)
Otto Link - Four 5 to 9 (unknown refacer)
Otto Link - Four 5* to 10* (Freddy Gregory reface)
Otto Link - Four 8* (Jon van Wie reface)

- 1940 - 1950:
Otto Link - Tone Master 5 to 8 (Erik Greiffenhagen reface)
Otto Link - Tone Master 5* (original)

- 1950 - 1960:
Otto Link - STM NY Double Ring 4* (original)
Otto Link - STM Florida no USA 9 (original)
Otto Link - STM Florida no USA 10* (original, measures 10** or 0.137")

- 1960-1974:
Otto Link - STM Florida USA 11* (original)

- 1974 - 1980:
Otto Link - STM Early Babbitt 7 to 8 (unknown refacer)
Otto Link - STM Early Babbitt 8* (original)
Otto Link - STM Early Babbitt 10 (original)
Otto Link - STM Early Babbitt 10* (original)
Otto Link - STM Early Babbitt 11 (original, measures 12* or 0.155")

- 1980 - now:
Otto Link - STM 7* (original)
Otto Link - STM NY 7 to 9* (EJZ/MOJO reface)
Otto Link - STM NY 11 (original)
Otto Link - New Vintage Tone Master 10* (original)
Otto Link - Tone Edge 10* (original)
Otto Link - New Vintage Slant Sig Tone Edge 7* (original)

- Non Otto Link mouthpieces:

Berg Larsen - Metal 140/0 SMS (original, vintage)
Berg Larsen - Metal 150/2 SMS (original, modern)
Brilhart - Tonalin Great Neck 3* (original, measures 4* or 0.075")
China - Metal gold plated 10 (original)
Phil-Tone - Mosaic 9 (original)
Rico Royal - Metalite M11 (original)
Theo Wanne - Metal Durga 12* (original)
10mfan - HR Merlot 9 (original)
10mfan - HR Robusto 11* (original)

- Horns:

Alto - 1960's Klingsor serial 016xx
Tenor - 1932 Conn New Wonder Transitional serial 251xxx (not mine)
Tenor - 1945 Buescher Aristocrat serial 303xxx (not mine)
Tenor - 1953 Selmer Super Balanced Action serial 506xx
Tenor - 1983 Selmer Super Action 80 serial 345xxx (sold)

- Miscellaneous:

Pictures Selmer SBA necks
Pictures with multiple mouthpieces
Pictures with multiple horns
Pictures with mulitple reeds

- Sold or traded mouthpieces:

Barone - Metal Fushion gold plated 9* (original, sold)
Berg Larsen - HR 90/2 SMS (original, vintage, traded)
B&S - Metal 190 (6*) (original, traded)
King - Metal King tenor 8* (original, traded)
Otto Link - STM Florida no USA 7 (John Reilly reface, traded)
Otto Link - STM Florida USA 8 to 7 (unknown refacer, traded)
Otto Link - STM Florida USA 9* (original, traded)
Otto Link - Tone Master 4 to 7* (Erik Greiffenhagen reface, traded)
Otto Link - Tone Master 7 (Eric Falcon reface, traded)
Ponzol - Super 120 (original, sold back to the original owner)

More albums and pictures to follow :).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,114 Posts
Nice. It looks a bit like my collection but you have a few more metal Links than I. I always think that I should sell them but they are so pretty to look at.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
- Beautiful. I could spot that 4star..with the JVW work on it from a mile away. That has to be amazing.

Thanks for posting.

* Just a passing thought; the Link that you have there, mentioned as unknown refacer. Sorta looks like Frank Wells work.
Something on the inside, but age and the light make it harder to see.

( I used to have a WT Link, I bought in Pontys. The best damn mouthpiece I ever had.Another was a Ben Harrad Link, I got in Flordia once at the factory. )

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Beautiful collection indeed!

·
2,294 Posts
Looks exactly like my collection, except I don't have any Links.................... Oops!

·
1,114 Posts
I went to the Link factory when it was in Florida. I spoke to Ben Harrard. Really intense guy but he did make a 5 link into a 7. A student of mine still has that piece. I wish I still had it.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
- Beautiful. I could spot that 4star..with the JVW work on it from a mile away. That has to be amazing.
Thanks for checking out Tim. That Jon van Wie Four 8* looks like a kind of Frankenstein mouthpiece. It's not so easy to play (lot of resistance) and it's also a bit reed picky, but in my ears it can sound very special with the correct reed. It has a real vintage vibe, something that the other refaced vintage pieces I own have not or less (they sound more like a mix between a vintage and a modern piece). I think Jon van Wie was really into something special, it's a great loss he died so young.

I have an example soundclip of the JvW Four 8* (please remember I'm only an intermediate amateur player):
- 'Skylark' (Four 8* JvW - La Voz medium): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12085844
- JvW Four 8* picture album: https://plus.google.com/photos/1086...637650008771977212/albums/5944953524149766209

* Just a passing thought; the Link that you have there, mentioned as unknown refacer. Sorta looks like Frank Wells work.
Something on the inside, but age and the light make it harder to see.
Tim, are you referring to the Master Link: https://plus.google.com/photos/1086...637650008771977212/albums/5944955459665153793

It looks like a very old reface job, the refaced 6 stamp looks like a 40's Tone Master stamp to me. Would be cool if Frank Wells worked on that piece :). I've read a lot about him (like that he worked on pieces of most of the famous Basie band sax players).

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Guys, thanks for checking out and commenting :).

Looks like some really nice pieces there.
I'd be interested to hear you on that Tonalin though, just for a change.
Nick, I just added an album with some pics:
- Brilhart Tonalin Great Neck: https://plus.google.com/photos/108637650008771977212/albums/5945344704917134545

Also once recorded it for a TOTM of last year. Not easy for me to play such a small tip, but I don't think I sound that much different on it compared to a Link :).
- 'Stardust' (Brilhart Tonalin 3* - La Voz medium hard): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11972949

Looks exactly like my collection, except I don't have any Links.................... Oops!
In the end they are all just mouthpieces, all looking and doing (almost!) the same :)!

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
tough choice when you're heading for the gig..

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
tough choice when you're heading for the gig..
Actually not :).

For playing outdoors (gig's, rehearsal's) I mostly use my current main piece the Florida no USA 10* (and sometimes the Florida no USA 9, if a reed feels to hard for the 10*). I only use the other pieces for fun and making 'silly' mouthpiece comparison clips :).

Unless what you might think I like to stick with one piece for a longer time (before the FL 10* my Early Babbitt 8* was for 20 years my main piece). Still I'm always interested in what other pieces can bring to my sound, knowing that the real change will primary come from putting a lot of time in practising (time I unfortunatley don't have).

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
MrPeeBee you are definitely onto something..

·
Registered
205 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOO

And I though I could jam like Brecker if I just put the big bucks down on his setup.

To all the middle school students browsing this thread: I promise with a mark 6 and a wood guardala you WILL be able to hit that high G. :twisted:

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NOOOOOOOOOOO

And I though I could jam like Brecker if I just put the big bucks down on his setup.

To all the middle school students browsing this thread: I promise with a mark 6 and a wood guardala you WILL be able to hit that high G. :twisted:
Happily for me I never thought that (replace Brecker for Cobb, Jacquet, Hawkins, Webster, Quebec, Forrest and Gonsalves), not even before building up my collection... :mrgreen:.

Ha, yes! Actually I have a good number of large chamber Link like pieces - just not any actual Links!
Yes, there are a lot of good pieces available and we should just play what we think will fit our needs the best (and put in a lot of practise besides that) :).

What are you playing Mike?

·
2,294 Posts
For years and years I played on a modern SS Berg 105/1 (actually measured 92 or 93 depending on whether you measured from the front or the back of the table!), but I knocked it onto a stone tiled floor several years ago. Since then (and despite a very good reface on the Berg by Lawrie Waldron of LAW mp's) I've been playing on a variety of pieces, from a few LAW's, a FG MKII, and a number of TW's. At the moment I'm playing on a great TW metal Ambika and Gaia 6*.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For years and years I played on a modern SS Berg 105/1 (actually measured 92 or 93 depending on whether you measured from the front or the back of the table!), but I knocked it onto a stone tiled floor several years ago. Since then (and despite a very good reface on the Berg by Lawrie Waldron of LAW mp's) I've been playing on a variety of pieces, from a few LAW's, a FG MKII, and a number of TW's. At the moment I'm playing on a great TW metal Ambika and Gaia 6*.
Sounds like great pieces Mike (I also tried some of those pieces from collections of friends) :).

I'm recently got an old Ponzol 120 with a huge chamber and an incredible high baffle (don't have a picture album yet) and acutally like it very much.

Great pictures Peter. Nice to see your collection again. Is it time to sell yet ;)
Thanks Liam (I got some new pieces since we last met) :).

As you know I'm not interested in selling pieces or making profit at all, but some of them could go if people where interested. With other pieces I'm not ready yet and I'm afraid that's also the case for the piece(s) you are interested in :bluewink:.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Two questions:

1. What is your address?

2. Do you have any plans to be out of town in the near future?

;-)
Two answers:

1. I share the same address with this >very nice doggy<.

2. I'm often out of town (but he ^^^ always stays at home :mrgreen:)!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts