Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone a photo of this model?
i am very interested into this brand and my saxophone dealer has only a very nice looking silver modell laying around...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,008 Posts
I've got about 20 pics of my R&C gold-plated saxello that I could email you.

PM me with your email address.

Rhys

PS I'm not selling it !

·
Registered
167 Posts
Dont you find the neck angle uncomfortable, i was helpong C.Pine choose a soprano and he loved the saxello but found it uncomfortable to play, he went for the straight sop by R and C

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you guys.

i have found those official pictures before but i wanted some self made pictures for better real world impression.

rhysonsax,
i pm you in few seconds.
many thanks.

i have found this forum yesterday for the first time.
feel free to listen to exerpts of my music.

all the best

·
2,008 Posts
Emailing the pics just now.

I like the neck angle of the R&C saxello and the fact that it's all in one, not a spearate neck.

I like the intonation and the ergonomics, but find the keywork a bit spongy. I much prefer the feel of my Yanagisawa keywork which is nice and crisp.

I took the R&C to Steve Howard, my repairer, to try and get the spongy keywork made crisper and expecting him to be quite impressed with the horn. He wasn't ! Said that it was typical Italian, with lots of design flair but not enough attention to detail in the finishing. - filing marks, rough finish, synthetic cork on the neck.

I still like the R&C and its gold-plated finish.

Rhys

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you for the pics.
i think i like the look of the silver vintage more.

how would you describe the sound compared to your yanagisawa

·
14,268 Posts
I owned an R&C gold-plated tipped-bell soprano - nice horn, alright.

Neck angles and ergonomics are a personal thing. I prefer straight necks, but that didn't detract from the fixed curved-neck design of the R&C.

Still, I liked other sopranos in my closet, so I traded the R&C away. Soundwise, I like my Yanagisawa S992 and '28 Buescher TT the best of any sopranos I've owned or played. DAVE

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how would you describe the sound of the R&C compared to the Yanagisawa?

i have to say that years ago i have had a yamaha soprano and its sound was like everything i hate on sopranos. too much highs and kind of nasal.

i once heared a wonderful chu berry conn which has had a very big, open sound, less highs.

and just from the look i am really in love with the saxello.
will try it some day...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rhys,
your saxello is not VINTAGE gold, right?

i wonder how silver and gold differs in sound.
the manufacturer says gold is darker...

·
14,268 Posts
openrivers: There have been many debates on SOTW about how a horn's finish affects its sound. I am among many who don't believe it (that finish matters) - beware of marketing hype!

You will read all sorts of claims by various manufacturers - take them all with a grain of salt.

My gold-plated R&C sounded good, but nothing above my lacquered brass sopranos, my vintage silver-plated sops, etc., etc. It is the horn and the player, not the finish (in MY opinion).

I too was caught up in the way the tipped-bell R&C looked, so I bought it, sight unseen. I liked it for a while (and received many compliments from the audiences and other players) on how it sounded. In the end, I had more difficulty with how to set the horn down when playing other instruments than any tonal advantage the horn MAY have provided. After I traded it away, some suitable stands came to market, but that wouldn't have changed my decision about to move it on.

By the way, have you ever played a Saxello? I mean the REAL Saxello - from H.N. White/King? If you had, you'd probably never refer to the R&C as a "saxello" - the modern tipped-bell sops are so far superior to the King Saxello that I wonder what marketers were thinking when they chose to call tipped-bell sopranos a "Saxello". DAVE

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yesterday afternoon i heared the name saxello the first time. when i surfed the web after seeing the r&c saxello at my local saxophone dealer.

my finances are saying that i am not in the market for any saxophone buying, so i strictly avoid to test it myself. (yet)

i am very new here and find it kind of a bit overwhelming how many forums are here.

·
2,008 Posts
Not sure what the difference between the different gold finishes is. I'm not getting into any speculation about the effects of finish on sound !

I do like the look of both silver-plated and gold-plated finishes. My Conn soprano is gold-plated too and my Buffet S-1 is silver-plated and they look fine.

I just played my R&C against the Yanagisawa SC991 and Buffet S-1, using two mouthpieces that I got recently: A Berg Larsen 65/2 and a Lebayle ebonite.

All three horns sounded fine with both mouthpieces and any differences are pretty subtle. I'm not sure that a listener would hear real differences at all and I would be happy to play live with any one horn.

Things I did find included:
  • The SC991, being curved, lets the player hear more of their playing - it's almost like a little alto
  • The SC991 had the crispest action, followed by the Buffet and then the R&C. Not necessarily better, just more direct.
  • The R&C and the Buffet had a more singing tone, with the Buffet having maybe a bit more volume. I suppose the SC991 sounds more "modern" and less characterful to my ears
  • The intonation on all three was fine once the mouthpiece was correctly placed
    • The Buffet has a slightly dull D2, but otherwise all were OK
  • The ergonomics on all three are OK.
  • All three horns change their sound significantly for different mouthpieces

I really think you have to play horns back-to-back yourself and not take too much notice of what other people say. Although you can rule out some instruments on first playing them, it would be good to have longer exposure to be sure what you like and maybe what you can't get used to.

As I said, any one of these instruments would be really good to perform with and I know that I should spend more time practising and less messing about with gear !

Good luck

Rhys

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rhysonsax said:
As I said, any one of these instruments would be really good to perform with and I know that I should spend more time practising and less messing about with gear !

thanks for your input.

i am so happy that on my tenor i am playing the first mouthpiece i have ever bought. a simple otto link.
of course i have made a small mpc roundtrip but 10 years ago i remembered my link and thats it.
no mouthpiece madness for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts