1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
I have a problem with the Cigar Cutter: your photos definitely show that octave mechanism and the number, but despite Selmer's website info it would seem that they weren't produced until after 1930 or 1931. My alto is 12XXX and therefore just a few hundred later than yours, but has a conventional octave and is dated to 1930. The key guards are also different.

Does this mean Selmer were producing different models of Supersax at the same time?

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
the selmer website info is known to be inaccurate. for instance it lists the model 26 as being made up until i think 11,xxxx when there was a pretty radical design change around 8500 to 9000.

i have seen all sorts of strange keywork variations on selmer horns from this time. the horn is clearly a cigar cutter as it has that mechanism.

more than likely the body tubes between your horn and this horn are the same but there are some differences in the finish items such as the keyguards. it is well documented that only some selmer horns from this era got the cigar cutter mechanism. all cigar cutters are supers but not all supers are cigar cutters.

the horn looks gorgeous, good luck with your sale.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,228 Posts
Naw, you can't use the Selmer website as a prayer book. I bought a brand new mk6 alto in March of '75 before any mk7's were available. The Selmer site quotes it's serial, 226,xxx as a mk7, but it's not, it's all mk6. That cigar cutter might be a very early model, but it's a cigar cutter.

A beauty.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
It's still an interesting case of manufacturing diversity. Since the New Largebore (conventional octave) is said to have started production in 1930 as the first of the "Super Sax" line, later to be replaced by the Cigar Cutter, this CG from 1929 suggests they simply had 2 similar models on the go for as long as 2 or 3 years before settling on the CG. I wonder what their catalogue of the time was saying?

·
Registered
449 Posts
That Cigar Cutter is a beauty!! I wonder if the one I'm looking at will look as nice when properly cleaned up...? :?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
573 Posts
This is really strange !! Potiphur explains in detail what I also believe, this should not be a cigar cutter, BUT IT IS???? It should be a New largebore which is same as CC with conventional octave key, the key guard was an add on protecting low B &Bflat, it is removable. I have a New Largebore Tnor, ser# 13,091 made in 1930 and according to Selmer charts it is a CC BUT IT ISN'T?? I thought maybe the serial number in the alto was maybe illegible but as shown it is clear as a bell that the 11, thou. is evident. Selmer must have been experimenting I guess, anyhow it is a beautiful horn...

·
Registered
449 Posts
How did you get that Cigar Cutter's plating in such amazing condition? Did you replate it (which it doesn't look like), or, if otherwise, how did you clean it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts